Wordpress website crashed today running Apache on Google Cloud

Keywords: WordPress - Google Cloud Platform - Technical issue - Services (Apache, MariaDB, MySQL…)

bnsupport ID: 7049a693-d42b-3e53-9977-a9c757a966a1

bndiagnostic output:

? Mysql: Found possible issues
? Php: Found possible issues
? Apache: Found possible issues
? Resources: Found possible issues
https://docs.bitnami.com/aws/apps/wordpress/troubleshooting/debug-errors-mysql/
https://docs.bitnami.com/general/apps/wordpress/configuration/configure-phpfpm-processes/
https://docs.bitnami.com/general/apps/wordpress/administration/use-pagespeed/#disable-pagespeed
https://docs.bitnami.com/general/apps/wordpress/troubleshooting/debug-errors-apache/
https://docs.bitnami.com/bch/apps/moodle/troubleshooting/deny-connections-bots-apache/

bndiagnostic failure reason: The documentation did not make any significant change

Description:
I have been running my wordpress website on Apache on Google cloud the last 12 months with no issue.

My website went down today and I could not access it through wordpress.

So I went into my google cloud and ssl’d onto my server. I though it might be an outdated certificate and I entered an incorrect command. And now I am getting an error saying mysql is not working.

I would appreciate any help you could please provide in resolving.

Hi @james.o.bradley

Thanks for using Bitnami WordPress!

It seems your instance has run out of space:

-----------------------------------
Check free amount of disk space
-----------------------------------
Running: df -h
In: /opt/bitnami

Output:

Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
udev            840M     0  840M   0% /dev
tmpfs           171M   19M  152M  12% /run
/dev/sda1       9.8G  9.4G     0 100% /
tmpfs           851M     0  851M   0% /dev/shm
tmpfs           5.0M     0  5.0M   0% /run/lock
tmpfs           851M     0  851M   0% /sys/fs/cgroup

We have a guide that covers the process of increasing the server disk size. Please, check it out, I think you will find it handy!

https://docs.bitnami.com/google/faq/administration/resize-server-disk/

Best regards,
Jose Antonio Carmona

Was my answer helpful? Click on :heart:

1 Like

Thank you for the response, I appreciate your help.

I will check the link you provided. When my site crashed yesterday I thought it may be an SSL cert problem.I stupidly ran the below command without entering in my actual email address and domain name. I copied and pasted the code from stack overflow. Did this mess up anything? As after I ran it, my sql stopped running.

I have attached a photo.

I aslo just tried to increase my server size following the instructions you provided and got the attached error. Any ideas?
19C124E0-1C10-4C82-9FFE-B3EC2C9861B3_4_5005_c

I just managed to update the size of the disk using the instructions.

When I try to access my website through url it is saying the below error message.
I think the incorrect code I entered the other day in SSL.

Could you please let me know if you have any solutions?

This site can’t be reached

**** refused to connect.

Try:

ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED

Hi again @james.o.bradley

I will check the link you provided. When my site crashed yesterday I thought it may be an SSL cert problem.I stupidly ran the below command without entering in my actual email address and domain name. I copied and pasted the code from stack overflow. Did this mess up anything? As after I ran it, my sql stopped running.

Thanks for providing a screenshot! I don’t think that has changed anything important. As far as I can see, the command for SSL failed to execute.

I just managed to update the size of the disk using the instructions.

Nice!

When I try to access my website through url it is saying the below error message.

Hmm it seems that the services may not be running. Could you please try to restart them by executing the following command?

$ sudo /opt/bitnami/ctlscript.sh restart

Also, if it doesn’t solve your issue, it be nice if you could execute the bnsupport-tool again for me to see your new configuration :slightly_smiling_face:

Best regards,
Jose Antonio Carmona

1 Like

Hi Jose,

Thank you again for responding,

are you sure there was no issues with the commands I ran wrongly in SSL (See attached another screenshot) from when I was trying to troubleshoot. Did I mess up anything?

I tried to restart using the command you noted, see attached the output below: It says address already in use. I may have mistakenly tried to us nginx instead of apache the other day per the first screenshot.
Any help you can give?

Based on the new provided screenshot, I don’t think anything related to certificates has changed. All the commands you have tried to execute eventually failed, so we shouldn’t any changes.

I tried to restart using the command you noted, see attached the output below: It says address already in use. I may have mistakenly tried to us nginx instead of apache the other day per the first screenshot.
Any help you can give?

If the address is already in use it means that there is another process making use of that port. You could check what service is using port 80 with this command:

sudo lsof  -i:80

Additionally, please execute the bnsupport-tool again and share the ID so that I am able to see your new configuration.

Best regards,
Jose Antonio Carmona

Hi Jose,

I tried running that command to check port 80, but that command didnt work, I got the below error.
4E316C93-7932-4DFC-866C-37F5DAEA7A56_4_5005_c

I ran the tool, here is the id:
50199bd8-0443-6507-e20f-bb7a144f93c0

Please let me know if you can help, my website has been down for days now :frowning:

Helo @james.o.bradley,

It seems NGINX may be using port 80, which makes Apache unable to start at the same time, though it is strange the lsof command is not found. Nevertheless, you can see NGINX is still running if you list the processes:

$ ps aux | grep 'apache\|mysql\|nginx\|/opt/bitnami\|php-fpm'

root       726  0.0  0.0 159540  1576 ?        Ss   Aug04   0:00 nginx: master process /usr/sbin/nginx -g daemon on; master_process on;
www-data   728  0.0  0.2 159872  4720 ?        S    Aug04   0:00 nginx: worker process
root     26523  0.0  0.2  46900  3628 pts/0    S+   14:00   0:00 sudo /opt/bitnami/bnsupport-tool
root     26524 27.6 15.4 340380 269272 pts/0   Sl+  14:00   0:52 /opt/bitnami/bnsupport-tool
root     26743  0.0  0.0   4284  1600 ?        S    Aug05   0:00 /bin/sh /opt/bitnami/mysql/bin/mysqld_safe --defaults-file=/opt/bitnami/mysql/my.cnf --mysqld=mysqld.bin --socket=/opt/bitnami/mysql/tmp/mysql.sock --datadir=/opt/bitnami/mysql/data --log-error=/opt/bitnami/mysql/data/mysqld.log --pid-file=/opt/bitnami/mysql/data/mysqld.pid --lower-case-table-names=1
root     26915  0.0  0.0  12780   960 pts/0    S+   14:04   0:00 grep apache\|mysql\|nginx\|/opt/bitnami\|php-fpm
mysql    27062  0.3 23.0 1503860 400644 ?      Sl   Aug05  18:31 /opt/bitnami/mysql/bin/mysqld.bin --defaults-file=/opt/bitnami/mysql/my.cnf --basedir=/opt/bitnami/mysql --datadir=/opt/bitnami/mysql/data --plugin-dir=/opt/bitnami/mysql/lib/plugin --user=mysql --lower-case-table-names=1 --log-error=/opt/bitnami/mysql/data/mysqld.log --pid-file=/opt/bitnami/mysql/data/mysqld.pid --socket=/opt/bitnami/mysql/tmp/mysql.sock --port=3306
root     27119  0.0  0.6 301428 10464 ?        Ss   Aug05   0:10 php-fpm: master process (/opt/bitnami/php/etc/php-fpm.conf)
daemon   27120  0.0  0.5 301544  8844 ?        S    Aug05   0:00 php-fpm: pool wordpress
daemon   27121  0.0  0.5 301544  8844 ?        S    Aug05   0:00 php-fpm: pool Wordpress

As such, you just need to stop the NGINX processes. Try using the kill -9 PID to stop NGINX. If the processes are still the same as when you executed our support tool, you will need to execute:

$ kill -9 726 728

After that, try restarting Apache as before.

Regards,
Francisco de Paz

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.