Which version of the application are you using?:
WordPress 4.9.4 (latest)
Please choose how you got the application:
Have you installed any plugin or modified any configuration file?:
Describe here your question/suggestion/issue (expected and actual results):
I have multisite running on EC2, with about a dozen sites in it. I want to redesign one of them so have created a new site and copied all the content and database to it. I can now access my new site at subdomain.mainblog.com and all content is accessible.
However, I can't upload new files to the media library, and when I do all other media files disappear from the library in the WordPress dashboard. This appears to be some kind of permission issue, but all other sites on the network are letting me upload media fine, with the same settings.
Things I've tried:
- The owner for all files in htdocs and wp-content is set to bitnami:daemon
- The owner for all files in wp-admin and wp-includes is daemon:daemon
- Folder permissions are 775 and file permissions are 664
- Above steps based on this advice (and plenty like it around the web)
- I checked the groups on the server and bitnami was not actually listed in the daemon group, so I have added this user to the group
Other things to note/thoughts/questions:
- As stated, I can upload files to other sites on the network with no problem - is the site being in a subdomain an issue?
- Whilst WordPress shows that the upload failed and it is not added to the media library, I can see on FTP that the file is uploaded in the wp-content/uploads/sites/sitenumber folder
- This uploaded file is owned by daemon:daemon
- So daemon is the WordPress user? Should this be different?
- As mentioned, from a clean install of the site I can access the media library, but if I upload a new file (which fails, as described) the media library immediately becomes empty
Putting all that together the WordPress (PHP) user (daemon) cannot access and write to the database? Or something? But then, why does uploading to other sites work OK? Sorry for the ramble, and lack of clarity, but hope you can understand why. Any input appreciated.