WordPress High Availability CloudFormation stack shows many changes in Change Set even when no changes were made

Keywords: WordPress - AWS - Technical issue - Other
Description:
I deployed the solution “WordPress High Availability by Bitnami on AWS”, which creates an AWS CloudFormation stack, using several nested templates.

Every time I create a Change Set, even if I didn’t change anything in the parameters or the templates, when viewing the Change Set there are multiple resources listed with the Add and Modify changes proposed.

Why is that?

Thanks

Links:

https://aws.amazon.com/quickstart/architecture/wordpress-high-availability-bitnami/
https://docs.aws.amazon.com/AWSCloudFormation/latest/UserGuide/using-cfn-updating-stacks-changesets-view.html

Hi @corre

Thanks for using Bitnami WordPress HA!

The set of changes that are displayed when a ChangeSet is created is calculated by AWS CloudFormation itself. Hence, I am afraid I am unaware of how those are computed, but do agree that no changes should in theory do not add anything in the Add/Modify section.

I recommend you reach out to AWS for further information about this, as they will for sure know how the set of changes are calculated and will be able to provide a much more detailed explanation.

Best regards,
Jose Antonio Carmona

Was my answer helpful? Click on :heart:

Thanks for the reply, Jose.

Since the CloudFormation templates were written by Bitnami and not AWS, and since the behavior I described takes place in any deployment of the stack, even without making any changes to it, I believe I will have better chances figuring this out with Bitnami.

Do you know of any other Bitnami support resources I can refer to or, perhaps, if it is possible to escalate this to someone at Bitnami?

Thank you.

Hi @corre

Thanks for your reply!

Since the CloudFormation templates were written by Bitnami and not AWS, and since the behavior I described takes place in any deployment of the stack, even without making any changes to it, I believe I will have better chances figuring this out with Bitnami.

It is true that Bitnami does provide a template for its deployment in AWS CloudFormation, and indeed the deployment of the different resources seems to work correctly. Once the resources have been deployed, AWS offers the possibility to use Change Sets to manage updates on those deployed resources.

The computation of what changes are required to be applied is performed by the platform itself, and as such, AWS should be able to determine if you are experiencing an incorrect behaviour and the underlying issue. Should AWS point that the error is inherent from the template provided by Bitnami, we will be more than happy to initiate the process for reviewing this solution.

Do you know of any other Bitnami support resources I can refer to or, perhaps, if it is possible to escalate this to someone at Bitnami?

This is the right place to raise questions related to the majority of our different types of stacks (Installers, VMs, Cloud Images & MultiTier deployments). If necessary, we will escalate the corresponding thread.

Best regards,
Jose Antonio Carmona

I understand. Thank you for elaborating.

Does this mean that the Bitnami stacks for AWS were designed and meant to be deployed using AWS CloudFormation but later to be managed and updated in an un-managed way (web console, CLI, etc.)?

I understand. Thank you for elaborating.

My pleasure!

Does this mean that the Bitnami stacks for AWS were designed and meant to be deployed using AWS CloudFormation but later to be managed and updated in an un-managed way (web console, CLI, etc.)?

Not really. Our templates are designed to be deployed in AWS CloudFormation and we even test some features they offer, such as AWS AutoScaling (and have documentation too). But in this case, we believe the issue is related to the AWS Change Set feature itself, so we recommend reaching out to them.

In their response, they will be able to point out if this is the expected behavior, an error in the AWS Change Set feature, or an error in the Bitnami deployment template. You can share the thread/their response here, and if they is something on our site to change we will be happy to initiate the process of reviewal.

Best regards,
Jose Antonio Carmona

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.