Warning: The domain resolves to a different IP address than the one detected for this machine

Keywords: WordPress - Google Cloud Platform - Technical issue - Secure Connections (SSL/HTTPS)
Description:
Hi,

I’m trying to add SSL to my Bitnami Wordpress but I get this warning when I try to run bncert-tool. I see that my ip address resolves to external IP of my VM in google cloud. Is that bncert-tool looks at the internal IP and decides it’s not resolving?

I tried to run bnsupport-tool and it stops half way through.

FYI: In google cloud I see 2 IP addresses, Internal IP and External IP. All my domain resolves to external IP address.

Thanks,
Ajay

Hi @digiajay,

Does the tool outputs any error message? Did you run it with sudo?

Did you check the domain resolves to the instance’s IP address? You can check it here:

https://www.whatsmydns.net/

Bncert checks if the given domain resolves to the IP address of the machine it’s running on. If it doesn’t resolve it exits.

Regards,
Michiel

No there is no output errors… as you can see in the image below it just stays there forever.

Yes, domain name and DNS are pointing to external IP 104.154.62.33

On my machine I see the internal IP shows as 10.128.0.2 and that’s what shows on kernel. So my doubt is that bncert tool is using the internal IP and tries to resolve it.

My external IP and internal IP on google console is as below.

Hi @digiajay,

Can you check the bncert log and paste it here? (Please remove any sensitive data like domain names etc) You can find it in /tmp/bncert*.log. If there are more then one you can check the last created one with this command:

ls -lt /tmp/bncert*.log 

Regards,
Michiel

Hi,

This didn’t help much as there were no such log files generated, I think the tool got stuck somehwere while executing. Finally I got it working only after complete migration of the wordpress to new virtual machine with latest bitnami stack. I have written a short blog here to help others.

Thanks
Ajay

Hi @digiajay,

I’m glad to hear it’s working now. Thanks for sharing your insights.

Regards,
Michiel

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.