Using Hyper-V to host Bitnami Virtual Machine [Solved]

Hi everyone,

I use Hyper-V on Windows 8.1 Pro for the visualization of my Virtual Machines.(like a VMware Workstation)
I thinks with Hyper-V on Windows 8 Pro and Windows 8.1 Pro, Bitnami have to make Hyper-V VM.
I will try to convert VMware Bitnami VM to Hyper-V VM , as someone have try it in the past ?
I get you in touch there of the result.
Can have the Bitnami process to make Bitnami VM ?

Greetings,
julienth37.

Hi @julienth37,

sorry for the delay. We have been investigating, and as the convert process is not easy, we will not be able to write a guide on our wiki to allow our users to convert our VM to Hyper-V.

But, if you still want to have our VM working on Hyper-V, you can follow this steps:

Best regards.

Sorry to revive this topic, but it's the only relevant result -

We Hyper-V users are treated by lepers by the VM community but I figured out how to do this.

First download & install to the default location Microsoft Virtual Machine Converter @ http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=42497

Make sure you're on a recent version of powershell (4.0 works for sure as of this writing) and boot up Powershell ISE (not just the shell, the ISE, it has a GUI) and paste this in the white text box and hit F5 to run it. It will extract the MvmcCmdlet for you

$modulearray = $env:PSModulePath.Split(";")
 foreach ($modulepath in $modulearray) {
 if ($modulepath -match "v1.0") {
 $moduledest = $modulepath+"MvmcCmdlet"
 New-Item -Path $moduledest -ItemType directory
 Get-Childitem -Path "c:\Program Files\Microsoft Virtual Machine Converter" -filter *.dll -recurse | Copy-Item -destination $moduledest -Force
 Get-Childitem -Path "c:\Program Files\Microsoft Virtual Machine Converter" -filter *.psd1 -recurse | Copy-Item -destination $moduledest -Force
 }
 }

Then in the blue box type

Import-Module mvmccmdlet

Next, to check your handiwork, type

Get-Command -Noun mv*

About 12 results should show up. I had downloaded and extracted the bitnami craftbukkit bitnami folder to my C:\Bucket\ folder, and was going to dump the file in to my C:\VHDX\ folder, so I ran the command:

ConvertTo-MvmcVhd -SourceLiteralPath C:\Bucket\bitnami-craftbukkit-1.7.9R0.3-0-ubuntu-12.04\bitnami-craftbukkit-1.7.9R0.3-0-ubuntu-12.04.vmdk -DestinationLiteralPath C:\VHDX\bucket.vhdx -VhdType DynamicHardDisk -VhdFormat Vhdx

From there I hit enter and then waited about 20 minutes for it to build the VHDX. There's a green status bar to keep you abreast of the situation. After that, I created a new Hyper-V VM and pointed it's drive at the new bucket.vhdx in my C:\VHDX\ folder and it booted up smoothly with no issues.

I also posted this over on my site at http://nearlydeaf.com/?p=1188, hope this helps us in the Hyper-V community and someone else finds it... I couldn't find anything at all about Hyper-V in the bitnami wiki despite there apparently exist official microsoft tools to do this. The only link I saw was to some commercial $$$ Microsoft System Center software... this will do it for free (Assuming you own a copy of Windows 7 or 8)

6 Likes

Hi Hadlock,

This is exactly what i want tanks !
Now i've switched to BSD and Linux world for my laptop work machine (with Proxmox + Gnome). But it can be usefull for Hyper-V user. (and for me at work)

Regards julienth37.

Hi @Hadlock

thank you very much for your awesome guide!. I hope it will help a lot of users with the same issue.

Perfect and easy. Thanks so much for your work on this.

Hi @Hadlock - You are an angel. Thank you SO MUCH!

I had an issue on "Import-Module nvmccmdlet" when running this, just neeeded to add a / to your original code. Thanks!

Here is what I did:

> $modulearray = $env:PSModulePath.Split(";")
>  foreach ($modulepath in $modulearray) {
>  if ($modulepath -match "v1.0") {
>  $moduledest = $modulepath+"\MvmcCmdlet"
>  New-Item -Path $moduledest -ItemType directory
>  Get-Childitem -Path "c:\Program Files\Microsoft Virtual Machine Converter" -filter *.dll -recurse | Copy-Item -destination $moduledest -Force
>  Get-Childitem -Path "c:\Program Files\Microsoft Virtual Machine Converter" -filter *.psd1 -recurse | Copy-Item -destination $moduledest -Force
>  }
>  }

Hi @tcleek,

Thank you for sharing this information, it'll be helpful for others who have the same issue.

Regards,
Jota