Which version of the application are you using?:
- GitLab 8.17.3
- GitLab Shell 4.1.1
- GitLab Workhorse 1.3.0
- GitLab API v4
- Git 2.7.4
- Ruby 2.1.9p490
- Rails 220.127.116.11
- postgresql 9.5.2
Please choose how you got the application: Installer (Windows, Linux, macOS), cloud image (AWS, GCE, Azure, ...) or VM (VMDK, VBOX):
Pre-installed on GoDaddy cloud server, and updated from there.
Welcome to Ubuntu 14.04.4 LTS (GNU/Linux 3.16.0-76-generic x86_64)
___ _ _ _
| _ |_) |_ _ _ __ _ _ __ (_)
| _ \ | _| ' \/ _` | ' \| |
*** Welcome to the Bitnami GitLab 8.9.6-0 ***
*** Documentation: https://docs.bitnami.com/godaddy/apps/gitlab ***
*** Bitnami Wiki: https://wiki.bitnami.com/ ***
*** Bitnami Forums: https://community.bitnami.com/ ***
Have you installed any plugin or modified any configuration file?:
Describe here your question/suggestion/issue (expected and actual results)
- GoDaddy is retiring its cloud servers, so I need to go elsewhere.
- Also, Gitlab installation/upgrade process has changed to use Omnibus.
Ubuntu deb or Omnibus ?
I plan to get a vanilla Ubuntu LTS server and to install Gitlab on it.
I will also need to upgrade it every month (what a team!) without much hassle.
Do you recommend taking the provided packages (deb) or to use the omnibus installation ?
I anticipate a "take omnibus!" answer, but I don't know how updates are handled by the omnibus system, and it is critical I can update easily (the previous system was too much work each month).
Backups and versions
My current installation is 8.17.3, and I want to keep as much as I can from the old install (code, wiki, issues, etc.).
- What is the proper process to make full backup of my current (non-omnibus) Gitlab ?
- What is the proper process to make a full restore in an omnibus Gitlab ?
- Do I need to backup/restore the exact same version ?
- What is your upgrade/migration advise between:
- Update the non-omnibus 8.17 install to the latest gitlab (10.?) and backup/import it to an omnibus 10
- Or backup my current 8.17, import it in an old omnibus 8.17, and to update the omnibus to 10
Thank you for your support, and have a nice weekend !