In Alfresco 5.1 the thumbnails are not being created for PDF's or Office documents. In looking through the logs the error is:
Caused by: org.alfresco.service.cmr.repository.ContentIOException: 03140006 Failed to perform ImageMagick transformation:
command: /opt/bitnami/common/bin/convert /opt/bitnami/apache-tomcat/temp/Alfresco/ImageMagickContentTransformerWorker_source_922139844172318604.pdf -auto-orient -resize "100x100>" /opt/bitnami/apache-tomcat/temp/Alfresco/ImageMagickContentTransformerWorker_target_9018217757702602081.png
exit code: 1
err: .convert.bin: Postscript delegate failed `/opt/bitnami/apache-tomcat/temp/Alfresco/ImageMagickContentTransformerWorker_source_922139844172318604.pdf': No such file or directory @ error/pdf.c/ReadPDFImage/668.
.convert.bin: missing an image filename `
I can see the same documents in the previewer without issue and if I run the above command in terminal it succeeds. It seems more like an issue when running within the application.
In searching the Alfresco forms I found similar issues for older versions and the solution for them was checking the path's in the alfresco.properties file. I have checked those and they were correct.
Another solution was setting environmental variables but that also did not solve my problem.
And one other solution offered said to install ImageMagick with static libraries. I have not tried this as I wanted to check how Bitnami what they installed and their recommendation for this issue is.