The document root for LAMP AMI from Bitnami

Keywords: LAMP/MAMP/WAMP - AWS - Technical issue - Services (Apache, MariaDB, MySQL…)

bnsupport ID: 6c6435af-220c-bd6f-a8b1-17db96f5e20f

bndiagnostic output:

? Apache: Found possible issues
https://docs.bitnami.com/general/apps/wordpress/troubleshooting/debug-errors-apache/
https://docs.bitnami.com/bch/apps/moodle/troubleshooting/deny-connections-bots-apache/

bndiagnostic failure reason: The suggested guides are not related with my issue

Description:
Hi,

I just create an EC2 instance with LAMP AMI from Bitnami. And I am just wonder where is the document root for the web server?

I login with SSH and find there is a path /home/bitnami/htdocs, so I guess this is the document root.

However, when uploading Duplicator files to that folder and try to install a package of WordPress site to the new server, I get an error “no write permission” to folder /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs.

I check and find there is a folder /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs, so this seems to be the actual document root folder.

But why it is not writable, which permission should I set for this folder?

Hello @ccw,

As you said, the root folder is in /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs. If you are encountering a permissions issue, you can try changing the folder permissions to be more permissive:

sudo chmod 777 -R /opt/bitnami/apache2/htdocs

Keep in mind this can be a security risk and is not recommended. After Duplicator moves the files to that folder I suggest changing the permissions once again to something more restrictive like 755 or similar.

Regards,
Francisco de Paz

Hi, @fdepaz

Since chmod to 777 is a security risk, is there other more secure way for this issue?

Hello @ccw,

I may have explained myself incorrectly. The security risk will come from leaving those permissions as 777 once you have finished using Duplicator to migrate your files. As such, there shouldn’t be any issue using those permissions just to allow Duplicator to move the files.

Regards,
Francisco de Paz

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.