SSH not working post upgrade to Ubuntu 18.04 from 16.04 [AWS Lightsail]

Keywords: LAMP/MAMP/WAMP - AWS - Technical issue - Connectivity (SSH/FTP)
Description:
The issue is exactly (almost) like the one mentioned here but the solution doesn’t work anymore.

I have waited for more than an hour after running custom script with “create new instance” from broken ssh snapshot. Still the server replies with Connection Refused.

Also tried from lightsail console, it says UPSTREAM_NOT_FOUND [519]

The only difference in my case is that the website has stopped working altogether.

For your information, I followed following tutorial to update 16.04 to 18.04
https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/aws-lightsail-upgrade-ubuntu-16-04-lts-to-18-04-lts/

It is working now.

I created another instance from snapshot and apart from:
sudo sed -i ‘s/^Ciphers .*/Ciphers +aes256-cbc,aes192-cbc,aes128-cbc/’ /etc/ssh/sshd_config
sudo service sshd stop
sudo service sshd start

I also added
sudo service ssh stop
sudo service ssh start

Not really sure if it worked because of this or not but I am glad it did.

Hi @AnandC,

Thank you for sharing this information in the forum. I’m glad everything is working fine now.

Enjoy :slight_smile:

It was a poor decision to upgrade 16.04 to 18.04. That too with taking backup first.

Although the machine started, but website is down and apache2 service is not able to start.

Wasted whole day trying to make it work but failed. I would advise against upgrade to 18.04, without first taking backup.

Hi @AnandC,

Did you manage to solve this? If you need help, we have a Support Tool that will gather relevant information for us to analyze your configuration and logs. Could you please execute it on the machine where the stack is running by following the steps described in the guide below?

How to Run the Bitnami Support Tool

Please note that you need to paste the code ID that is shown at the end.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.