[Solved] Help With Upgrading RabbitMQ From Version 3.8.2 to 3.8.6

Keywords: RabbitMQ - Microsoft Azure - How to - Upgrade
Description:
Hello! I’ve been following Bitnami’s documentation for upgrading RabbitMQ, wishing to update from 3.8.2 to 3.8.6 on a cluster pair of VMs created through Azure. After reaching the final step and restarting the server, however, running sudo rabbitmqctl status shows that the server is still version 3.8.2, and the management client shows the same build version. When I execute an ls -l command on the opt/bitnami/rabbitmq, the file dates all match the newly-copied in files from the unzipped rabbitmq-server-generic-unix-3.8.6.tar.xz. Is there an additional step I may have missed? Thank you very much for your help!

Hi @ebrady5,

That guide is only valid for the installer-based installations and you are using a MultiTier solution in the cloud. However, the steps should be similar. For example, I found the following issues:

• The HOME folder is not /opt/bitnami/rabbitmq/rabbitmq_home but /opt/bitnami/rabbitmq/.rabbitmq so you need to copy that folder at the beginning
sudo cp -r /opt/bitnami/rabbitmq/.rabbitmq ~/rabbitmq_backup
  • When copying the files of the new version, I got these error messages
bitnami@ip-172-31-10-33:~$ sudo cp -r rabbitmq_server-3.8.6/* /opt/bitnami/rabbitmq/
cp: cannot overwrite non-directory '/opt/bitnami/rabbitmq/etc/rabbitmq' with directory 'rabbitmq_server-3.8.6/etc/rabbitmq'
cp: cannot overwrite non-directory '/opt/bitnami/rabbitmq/sbin' with directory 'rabbitmq_server-3.8.6/sbin'

Those directories can’t be overwritten because they are symbolic links. The rabbitmq_server-3.8.6/etc/rabbitmq folder doesn’t contain anything but the sbin one contains the binaries. In the case of the MT solution, they are copied to the bin folder

sudo cp -r ~/rabbitmq_server-3.8.6/sbin/ /opt/bitnami/rabbitmq/bin/

However, after applying these changes, the rabbitmqctl tool says that it got updated

$ sudo /opt/bitnami/rabbitmq/sbin/rabbitmqctl --version

but I can’t start the server, it crashes and also returns a wrong version

$ sudo /opt/bitnami/rabbitmq/sbin/rabbitmq-server --version
  ##  ##      RabbitMQ 3.8.2
  ##  ##
  ##########  Copyright (c) 2007-2019 Pivotal Software, Inc.
  ######  ##
  ##########  Licensed under the MPL 1.1. Website: https://rabbitmq.com

I’ll forward this information to our team so they can take a look at it and provide you with the steps to upgrade the server.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

1 Like

@jota Jota, thank you so much for your time and your help! I’m looking forward to hearing back from you and the rest of the team.

Hi,

Can you check what is the current status of the feature flag and enabled it if needed? You can follow this guide https://www.rabbitmq.com/feature-flags.html

Best regards,
Carlos R. Hernández

1 Like

Carlos,

Yes, the current enabled feature flags are as follows:

• drop_unroutable_metric
  • empty_basic_get_metric
  • implicit_default_bindings
  • quorum_queue
  • virtual_host_metadata

Is there a specific feature flag beyond those already installed that we’re looking to enable? Thank you again for your help!

Hi, sorry for the delay, we’re still looking for a workaround to be able to upgrade the installation following a similar path that the one that is documented for installers.

Best regards,
Carlos R. Hernández

Carlos, thank you for the follow-up and for your continued efforts on the solution! Please let me know if there is any other information I can provide from the RabbitMQ setup in the meantime.

Hi,

I am still looking for a smooth way to upgrade RabbitMQ but no luck; in the meantime I thought in the following workaround:

• We’ve documented the way to create and restore a backup of the application
  • You can create a backup only for the data (skipping application binaries and files)
  • Then you can deploy a new instance with the latest version and restore the data from the previous one

In this guide you can follow the steps for that process. The steps related to application-bin can be skipped as you don’t want to move the binaries, just the data.
This guide documents how to do the creation/restore of the backup in two different ways, depending on the installation you have, in order to check what should be you option, please execute

test ! -f "/opt/bitnami/common/bin/openssl" && echo "Approach A: Using system packages." || echo "Approach B: Self-contained installation."

and then follow option A or B steps.

Best regards,
Carlos R. Hernández

1 Like

Carlos,

Thank you again for your continued help and for the guide! I was able to back up the RabbitMQ applications’ data successfully following Approach A’s steps, and will be sending the via SCP to use them on the newly installed Bitnami machines with the newest version of RabbitMQ (3.8.8). Your support is greatly appreciated – thanks again.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.