SMTP configuration not working

Keywords: OpenEdX - AWS - Technical issue - Email configuration (SMTP)

bnsupport ID: e09a0ac2-084a-18f0-7ff3-7e5342c017c1

bndiagnostic output:

? Apache: Found possible issues
https://docs.bitnami.com/general/apps/wordpress/troubleshooting/debug-errors-apache/

bndiagnostic failure reason: The tool could not find any issue

Description:
Hi, I recently installed OpenEDX bitnami on my ec2 machine Everything works fine, except emails. I configured the SMTP settings in the lms.yml and cms.yml files but no email is being sent when I try to change the default user email in OpenEDX dashboard.

My SMTP configuration is :

EMAIL_BACKEND: django.core.mail.backends.smtp.EmailBackend
EMAIL_HOST: ‘smtp-mail.outlook.com
EMAIL_HOST_PASSWORD: ‘XXXXXX’
EMAIL_HOST_USER: ‘XXXX@XXXX.com’
EMAIL_PORT: 25
EMAIL_USE_TLS: false

I also tried with port 587 and TLS true but it made no difference. I have also opened up port 25 insecurity groups in ec2.

Could anyone help how I can troublehsoot this because without a working email configuration I am not able to use Open EDX.

Hello @sushantv,

Thanks for using Bitnami edX! Looking at your configuration, it seems you didn’t configure DEFAULT_FROM_EMAIL. Also, Outlook SMTP settings uses port 587 and TLS (STARTTLS).

If the problem persists, could you please share the error that edX outputs?

Regards,
Francisco de Paz

Thanks fdepaz! Even that didn’t work and there was nothing in the logs related to SMTP. I just installed the ironwood version instead and the SMTP is working fine there.

Hello @sushantv,

I’m glad you were able to solve the issue, thanks for sharing your solution!

I’ll be closing this thread now that it a solution has been marked. Please do not doubt to open a new ticket if you encounter any other issue in the future.

Regards,
Francisco de Paz

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.