Rich Content Editor and Passenger

:warning: IMPORTANT, please fill the questions

We assume you are using Bitnami to deploy your application.

• Which version of the application are you using?:

• Please choose how you got the application: Installer (Windows, Linux, macOS), cloud image (AWS, GCE, Azure, …) or VM (VMDK, VBOX):

• Have you installed any plugin or modified any configuration file?:

• Describe here your question/suggestion/issue (expected and actual results):

• Steps to reproduce the issue (if relevant):

• Copy the apache log (if relevant):

PASTE HERE

Running Azure Bitnami Canvas on Ubuntu.

We are unable to add files to courses. We can upload them but the “Files” link in the right hand content selector is disabled (Greyed out). Also part of the content selector is the Links tab which does display BUT says “Loading failed”. We can insert images.

Been down many Rabbit holes already and then found this https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/canvas-lms-users/etfEYCrvqfg/7Z7tULF_AAAJ which suggests that the RCE (Rich Content Editor) now needs a server and credentials configuring in dynamic_settings.yml which I am unable to find in the documentation on bitnami.

We do however get the following when running https:///error_reports

category: jwt
created at: 2019-09-02 15:29:40 +0100

hostname: bci-canvas 
pid: 126587 
type: jwt 
        Canvas::Security::InvalidJwtKey

/opt/bitnami/apps/canvaslms/htdocs/lib/canvas/security.rb:175:in `create_encrypted_jwt'
/opt/bitnami/apps/canvaslms/htdocs/lib/canvas/security/services_jwt.rb:71:in `generate'
/opt/bitnami/apps/canvaslms/htdocs/lib/canvas/security/services_jwt.rb:95:in `for_user'
/opt/bitnami/apps/canvaslms/htdocs/lib/services/rich_content.rb:24:in `env_for'
/opt/bitnami/apps/canvaslms/htdocs/app/controllers/application_controller.rb:196:in `rce_js_env'
/opt/bitnami/apps/canvaslms/htdocs/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.4.0/gems/activesupport-5.1.6.2/lib/active_support/callbacks.rb:413:in `block 

Does the bitnami stack come with an RCE server?. I have checked usage rights, permissions etc. but something isnt right. Hoping its just a directory permissions issue :slight_smile:

Any Ideas or suggestsions?

Thanks,
Jim.

Hi @james.ling,

thank you for using Bitnami. Could you please provide us with more information about the issue? We specially want to know the steps you perform when getting that error. For example:

• Click on …
  • Go to courses
  • Create a test course with the following information …
  • Go to …
  • Add a new file …

The more information you provide the easier for us to investigate the issue.

Thanks

Hi Jota,

Please see below for instructions to reproduce the problem. Also I have included 2 pictures to illustrate the problem. The first is the problem we are getting across the board but the picture shows a course we imported that works on the Canvas online version.

The next picture is the Browser errors (Chrome and Edge) show which led me to come across the RCE server being the issue.

I have also run the Support Tool

Welcome to the Bitnami Support tool.

Confirm upload

This tool collects system information and files from a Bitnami stack into a
support bundle file to be uploaded and reviewed by the Bitnami Team, for the
sole purpose of providing you support for any issue you may find.

The uploaded information will be automatically removed from our systems after 1
month. In case you have any doubt regarding our privacy policy please check:
https://www.vmware.com/help/privacy.html

Do you agree on uploading the information to our server?

The files listed below are bigger than 10MB and have not been included, please notify the support agent.

/opt/bitnami/apps/canvaslms/htdocs/log/delayed_job.log

The support bundle was uploaded successfully to the Bitnami servers. Please copy the following code:

c65e9fcd-f198-cfa2-1645-d4fbe526afe1

And paste it in your Bitnami Support ticket.

Thanks,
Jim

1. Log in to application

2. Select courses from left hand menu

3. Select a Course

4. Either Select Edit for the course or if just pages then select the page then edit.

5. Right hand side is the content selector.

Hi,
Sorry for the delay, I am trying to reproduce the issue.

Hi,
I was able to reproduce it.
I’m trying to find a fix or a workaround.

Hi There,

Is there any update on this issue ?

Thanks,
Jim

Hi @james.ling
Sorry, not yet.

Hi there,

Appreciate its not an easy issue to resolve but I am coming under increasing pressure to get this working.

As I understand it The Bitnami Canvas-LMS stack doesn’t work currently since the change Canvas made in May 2019. You managed to recreate the problem from the image as well.

So we are either both doing something wrong or the stack image isn’t viable.

We use Bitnami stacks where we can for Wordpress/Moodle and I am loathe to break the model and introduce a non Bitnami server stack into the equation.

Can you escalate this from your side as it needs to be resolved and I will run out of time soon…

Kind Regards,
Jim

Hi,
I am trying to get a solution for this issue as soon as possible.

Hello @rafaelrios,

I have the same problem.
We use Canvas on VM Debian.
In Rich Content Editor Files Tab are inactive (screenshot is attached below).

I asked a question in the Canvas community, but they don’t know the solution, all the methods that they offer do not help.
Please help.
Thanks.
Best regards.

Hi @zentrum,
Thanks for confirming the issue and providing the link to the question the Canvas community.

It is being quite hard to find a solution for this.

Hi @rafaelrios,
I’m struggling with the same issue. I strongly believe that it has ssomething to do with canvas_rce. I’ll inform everyone if I make any progress. Best regards

1 Like

Thank you, @mesutaydemir.

We have been checking and we can relate the issue to the way we configure and deploy the application.

Best regards,
Andrés Bono.

1 Like

Hello Andres,

Thank you for the update. Much appreciated.

What is the planned solution in terms of changing the whole image/build/config or a patch/hotfix to resolve? Any ideas of timescale?

Regards,
Jim

hello, are there any updates on this?

Hi @james.ling, @rkanka, sorry for the late response.

We thought it could be related to the configuration we apply on Canvas LMS, but we can’t find the root cause of the issue.

We will continue investigating it, but we can’t give you an ETA.

@mesutaydemir, did you do any progress on your side?

Best regards,
Andrés Bono.

Hey Everyone,

We’re having the same issue here, wondering if there was a fix found by anyone on this thread?

Hi @mohammad.kandil,

Just to let you know, we didn’t find a fix on our side.

Best regards,
Andrés Bono.