Problem with permissions that even makes me think I got my site hacked!

Keywords: WordPress + NGINX + SSL - Google Cloud Platform - Technical issue - Permissions

bndiagnostic ID: 91ce02f9-6b80-1802-5995-25b2d30c8894

bndiagnostic output:

? Nginx: Found possible issues
https://docs.bitnami.com/installer/infrastructure/nginx/troubleshooting/

bndiagnostic failure reason: The suggested guides are not related with my issue

Description:
Hi there. I am sorry for the TLDR text that i’m gonna post now. I got some serious problem which I have no idea what is its source…

This problem isn’t related to specifically to Bitnami installation, but I will eternally own you guys a favor for helping me.

Story goes like this: I got an installation on GCP of my wordpress site. Last week suddenly this problem of permissions appeared and we thought that it would be a great idea to move to Bitnami image, and leave behind us the google image we used, which we found inferior to your amazing image :slight_smile: Thing is that the problem persisted after we have moved over…

it’s a strange and weird permissions issue. An issue that took my site out of work. It’s like that:

The problem start when suddenly you try to install a plugin, but WP doesn’t allow you to do that, claiming on permissions issue.

So the next step I did was to follow the documentation and run

sudo chown -R bitnami:daemon /opt/bitnami/wordpress/
sudo find /opt/bitnami/wordpress/ -type d -exec chmod 775 {} \;
sudo find /opt/bitnami/wordpress/ -type f -exec chmod 664 {} \;

Moment I do that, I loose my ability to either upload files using SFTP, or touch any files to uploads folder (touch: cannot touch 'bbbb.txt': Permission denied).

Then after reading your guide troubleshooting permissions I was thinking - I need to add my user to a super-user group, but its an already user which was the powerful and was able to upload and do stuff, so why suddenly it lost all permissions?

And now, I can install plugins, but if I try to uninstall them- I also don’t have permissions… :man_facepalming:

I am really confused… I have no idea what am I doing wrong… If there is a problem with me or with my WP installation…

Thing is this: til two weeks ago, all was fine and calm, but them suddenly this permissions mayhem rose and I got nailed.

I must say that the only new plugins I added which I can suspect are:

1. wp-cron-status-checker-premium
  2. advanced-database-cleaner-pro
    But I really don’t know if they are the problem. It might happen by an update of an already installed plugin.

You think you guys can help me out? Please? It’s a level of an SOS…
Thank you!!

Hi @neoswf,

Please reset the WordPress’ permissions by running the commands in this post

If you continue running into weird issues after that. I suggest you install the Wordfence plugin to check your site and contact the WordPress’ support team to get more information about what could be happening.

https://www.wordfence.com/
https://wordpress.org/support/

1 Like

Thank you Jota. It seems like it have solved my problem :pray:

Hey jota. I just wana mention WPScan as an alternative for wordfence. Its very effective service. I enjoy its results.

Thanks for the suggestion! We will mention it to those users with security issues. :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.