phpMyAdmin through SSH tunnel very slow

Keywords: LAMP/MAMP/WAMP - AWS - Technical issue - Connectivity (SSH/FTP)

bndiagnostic ID: a904acfd-6093-0820-cd7d-76161f94c516

bndiagnostic output:

? Apache: Found possible issues
? Resources: Found possible issues
https://docs.bitnami.com/general/apps/wordpress/troubleshooting/debug-errors-apache/
https://docs.bitnami.com/installer/faq/linux-faq/administration/increase-memory-linux/

bndiagnostic failure reason: The tool could not find any issue

Description:
Hello,

I have a RDS instance (MySQL 8) connected to my Lightsail instance (Bitnami LAMP). My site is running fine, not slow at all, no problems there.

However, when I access my DB through an SSH tunnel (PuTTY + phpMyAdmin or MySQL Workbench), data transfer speed is extremely slow. It takes minutes to load large databases. Even small tables with only a few hundred rows take 5-10 seconds to load.

There’s no speed issue when I connect to RDS directly with MySQL Workbench, without a tunnel. I understand that I can configure phpMyAdmin to accept connections from my public IP. My ISP doesn’t use static IPs, though, so I’d have to edit the config file and change my IP + restart Apache every time I want to access phpMyAdmin, which isn’t a great solution obviously.

Any ideas, please?

Hi @rak01,

Thank you for using our solution. Do you have any connectivity issue when connecting to the database from the instance using the MySQL client? Please note that a SSH tunnel reduces the performance as explained here. I suggest you avoid using the tunnel and directly use the command line to connect to the database.

But my question is, if you are using a RDS instance that is publicly available, why do you need a SSH tunnel to access the database? Do you want to use a firewall rule to only allow accessing the database from the instance?

Thanks

Turns out what’s slowing down my database connection and phpMyAdmin isn’t the SSH tunnel but rather my VPN (NordVPN). I wasn’t suspecting my VPN at all, because I had been using it for years and it never caused connectivity issues before I migrated my application from EC2 to Lightsail.

And yes, for security reasons I want to only allow accessing the database from the instance.

Well, problem solved. Thanks for your reply.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.