OpenProject 8.2.1 Migration from Bitnami Stack to OpenProject Docker Install

I am having some trouble attempting to migrate from an older OpenProject 8.2.1 mysql installation in a Bitnami Stack to the latest version of OpenProject not in a Bitnami stack. OpenProject’s documentation suggest running:

$openproject run backup

creating:
attachments-20191119210038.tar.gz
conf-20191119210038.tar.gz
git-repositories-20191119210038.tar.gz
postgresql-dump-20191119210038.pgdump (older versions using MySQL)
svn-repositories-20191119210038.tar.gz

I attempted to run this command from /opt/bitnami with no success. Bitnami’s documentation on migrating older MySQL versions of OpenProject appears to be a dead link.

I was able to create a mysql dump of the OpenProject data. Is it possible that’s all I need to migrate to a current version of OP, after running the MySQL to PostgreSQL tool? Any help of clarification would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hi @sdmAK

What kind of Bitnami Stack are you currently using (VM, cloud image, installer,…)?

Is it possible that’s all I need to migrate to a current version of OP, after running the MySQL to PostgreSQL tool?

The database is holds the most important piece of information, though there may exist some other additional files (like the ones appearing in your previous message i.e. attachments) that live outside the DB. We have a documentation that covers how to perform backup of the entire directory, could you please take a look?

https://docs.bitnami.com/google/apps/openproject/administration/backup-restore/

Best regards,
Jose Antonio Carmona

Was my answer helpful? Click on :heart:

1 Like

Hi jcarmona. Thanks for the quick reply. I didn’t install this version of OpenProject so I’m not entirely sure, but I believe it is an installer, possibly Ruby on Rails.

I ran the command from the link you gave me and terminal returned “Approach A: Using system packages.”

$ test ! -f “/opt/bitnami/common/bin/openssl” && echo “Approach A: Using system packages.” || echo “Approach B: Self-contained installation.”

Would performing the backup via the document you linked allow me to migrate to a non-Bitnami install of OpenProject?

My apologies the test returned the second option - “Approach B: Self-contained installation”.

Hi @sdmAK,

Are you running this on Google Cloud, Azure or AWS? Or are is OpenProject installed in your local computer? If so, are you using VirtualBox or VMware Fusion?

Would performing the backup via the document you linked allow me to migrate to a non-Bitnami install of OpenProject?

By dumping the database and following the aforementioned guide, you will have exported the relevant data regarding your OpenProject instance. From there, you should then follow the specific guidelines by your new instance provider.

Best regards,
Jose Antonio Carmona

Open Project was installed on a local computer. There is a “ruby” folder in the /opt/openproject folder so I think its safe to say that is how it was installed. I attached these grabs of the OpenProject configuration GUI if that helps to determine whether my version is Approach A or B.

Thanks again for your help.

Hi @sdmAK

In canse you are using a local installer, you may follow this guide instead. Approaches A or B are only necessary for cloud instances :slightly_smiling_face:

https://docs.bitnami.com/installer/apps/openproject/administration/backup-restore/#backup-on-linux-and-mac-os-x

Best regards,
Jose Antonio Carmona

Its seems one problem I am having is locating the attachments to compress for migration. The entire installation is located within /opt/openproject-8.2.1-1/. The paths the guides mention do not seem relevant to my installation. Do you have any documentation as to where the default attachments folder would be?

The relevant information regarding openproject is located under the /opt/openproject-8.2.1-1/ folder. Hence, you should backup this folder as per the guide.

Do you have any documentation as to where the default attachments folder would be?

The aforementioned folder should contain this info. In fact, you can verify that inside it there are several fodlers matching attachments:

$ find PATH-TO-YOUR-OPENPROJECT-PTH -type d -name "*attachments*"
./htdocs/lib/api/v3/attachments
./htdocs/frontend/src/app/modules/attachments
./htdocs/frontend/src/app/modules/attachments/attachments-upload
./htdocs/spec/lib/api/v3/attachments
./htdocs/spec/services/attachments
./htdocs/spec/workers/attachments

Best regards,
Jose Antonio Carmona

Well I was able to use your bash command to find attachments, although it did not find the actual “files” I was looking for using the find command. They were located in htdoc/files. I really think the migration guides are lacking in clear explanation of what files you actually need to migrate.

The new installation of OpenProject does not have an htdocs folder. I moved the attachments out of their htdocs location the relevant location in the OP 11 directories. It’s yet to be seen if that is actually going to work or if I “broke it”.

I am currently trying to migrate the Bitnami OpenProject version 8 MySQL database to the new OpenProject 11 PostgreSQL database using pgloader but have been receiving postgres permission errors.

pgloader -v --debug mysql://root@localhost:/bitnami_openproject postgresql://openproject@localhost/openproject
pgloader version 3.6.2
compiled with SBCL 1.4.5.debian
sb-impl::default-external-format :UTF-8
tmpdir: #P"/tmp/pgloader/"
KABOOM!
FATAL error: Failed to connect to pgsql at “localhost” (port 5432) as user “openproject”: Database error: Socket error in “connect”: ECONNREFUSED (Connection refused)
Date/time: 2021-02-02-14:29An unhandled error condition has been signalled:
Failed to connect to pgsql at “localhost” (port 5432) as user “openproject”: Database error: Socket error in “connect”: ECONNREFUSED (Connection refused)

Thanks for your feedback! The scope of the guide is to create a backup of the entire folder and not specific parts of it , so maybe this guide is not precisely tailored to your needs.

migrate to a non-Bitnami install of OpenProject?

I am currently trying to migrate the Bitnami OpenProject version 8 MySQL database to the new OpenProject 11 PostgreSQL database using pgloader but have been receiving postgres permission errors.

I am afraid the scope of this forum is to provide assistance with Bitnami solutions. In this cases, we usually recommend to resort to the new solution’s provider for further assistance.

Best regards,
Jose Antonio Carmona

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.