Migrate liferay installation to new Server

Hello,

iam running a liferay ( bitnami stack) server
Now i want to migrate the data to a nother Server.

Can someone tell me how i have to migrate the Data / Database

i saw that the whole data is on opt/bitnami

i copied this folder to my new server

Now i want to export the Database and change the user and password in the portal-ext.properties and hope the new server will come up .

but when i do : mysqldump -u root -p bitnami_liferay > backup.sql the Database is only 2k big, i think this is not normal.

Come someone help me please .

Hi @dragon_16,

Could you check the “backup.sql” file in case there is any error message there?

Please note that the directory structure must be the same (the installation directory must still be “/opt/bitnami”). Also, you need to start services after migrating:

sudo /opt/bitnami/ctlscript.sh start

Hello Marcos, the thing is. My new Server is a Windows Server

Hi @dragon_16,

In that case, you need to execute the following (where INSTALLDIR is the directory where Liferay was located):

INSTALLDIR/servicerun.bat START

That will start the services.

Also, please note that, as mentioned earlier, the installation directories must be exactly the same. That means that if you installed liferay in C:\Bitnami\Liferay, the new location must be that exact one, if not it will not work.

Please let us know if it works now. Also, if it doesn’t, we would appreciate taking a look at the contents of the backup.sql file you mention is only 2K in size.

Regards,
Marcos

Hello Marcos,

my old server ist Linux:
my new server ist Windows:

When i copy the whole directories from linux to my windows Server and start under “apache-tomcat/bin” the startup.bat , the liferay Window localhost:8080 not start / appear:

it is to complicated to migrate from linux to windows… i thing i leave the linux installation and create a new one under Windows.

Hi @dragon_16,

Unfortunately, it is not possible to move your Bitnami installation from Linux to Windows, because there are structural differences between both platforms.

If that is the case, we recommend you install the Bitnami Liferay stack for Windows.
If you had important data, you can migrate your MySQL database from Linux to Windows. There is a guide for that here (look at the “backup” and “restore” sections): https://docs.bitnami.com/installer/components/mysql/#how-to-create-a-database-backup

Let us know if you have any questions.

Thanky you, i will test it and give you a feedback! Thanks