Migrate Google Cloud Installation to local VM server (Linux)

I’ve a eXo platform 4.3 CE running in Google Cloud. I would like to migrate this over to a local VM server. Any guidelines to do this ?

Also, How do I upgrade from 4.3 to 4.4 ?

Thanks & Regards

Hello @qtech_labuan

In order to migrate your Exo Platform you could do a full backup of the Stack on the Google Cloud and the you can restore it on your local VM. You just need to follow the steps described below:
https://docs.bitnami.com/google/apps/exo-platform-community/#how-to-create-a-full-backup-of-exo-platform

I hope this information is useful for you. If you have any other question, please do not hesitate to let us know.

Best Regards,

Juan Ariza

I backup & restored /home/bitnami & /home/tomcat to the new VM.
When I start with …“ctlscript.sh” Apache, Tomcat & Postgre start without errors but I am unable to access the Platform.

I’m not sure how I can attach the log file here, can’t upload except for images

Hello @qtech_labuan

You can send me the log files via mail to juan[at]bitnami[com].

There is something that I don’t understand. You mentioned:

Did you have two different Stacks installed on your system?

Best Regards,

Juan Ariza

Hi Jariza,

Thank you for your assistance I have emailed you the log files.
Regards

Hello @qtech_labuan

I see thousands of Java errors in the log but it’s not easy to debug it. I still think that there’s something I didn’t understand or you didn’t do properly.

Could you describe all the steps you followed (one by one)? What was the path of your original Installation? Was it /home/bitnami/ or /home/tomcat/? When you create the compressed Stack file, did it contains all the components installed on the Stack? I don’t understand why you did the backup of two different folders.

Best Regards,

Juan Ariza

Hi Jariza,

• The Installation is at /opt/bitnami (previously type wrongly).
  • At first I backup only this directory but did not manage to get it working after restore.
  • I read at the eXo forum that I must backup /home/tomcat, that’s why I did. This time it was better as I managed to see the login screen after restored but was unable to login & proceed.

Anyway, I have completely rebuild the new server (Target) and intend to upgrade to 4.4
I will try to install a new 4.4 version and migrate the data instead, following the link you provided. Hope it works.

Thanks for your help.

Hi,

Please let us know if you find more issues with the procedure @jariza mentioned.

Best regards,

Javier J. Salmerón

Hi,

I tried again today. I followed the instructions from https://docs.bitnami.com/installer/apps/exo-platform-community/#how-to-create-a-full-backup-of-exo-platform and manage to start eXo without any issue. But when I tried to access the Platform from the browser I get HTTP Status 503 error. Screenshot attached.

I have also email you the Log file.

Hi,

Please note that Tomcat applications take longer to start. Didn’t the error message disappear after a while? You said you emailed the log file, could you please put a link here or just show if there’s any errors in the log?

Best regards,

Javier J. Salmerón

Hi,

Yes, I did wait for almost an hour. Have emailed the Log file. Must have forgotten the attachment earlier.

Regards.

Hi @qtech_labuan

Could you please share the log file here? My partner @jsalmeron hasn’t got anything in his mail and we can’t help you.
Please, put here the file by clicking in Upload - Ctrl + G button

Thanks
Best regards,
David Barranco

Hi,

Can only upload images, doesn’t allow me to upload any other type of files.

Hi qtech_labuan,

Just two quick questions:

1. When you make a backuf of Exo. Which directory exactly did you do the tar.gz?
  2. The VM where you are migrating Exo to, is a Bitanmi Exo VM or another VM of your own?

Best regards,
Silvio Fernández

Source is Bitnami Google Cloud installation. Target is Self owned VM. After decompressing in Target VM, “Sudo … ./ctlscript.sh start” without issue. All is running. Just can’t access from Browser.

Hi qtech_labuan,

Could you have any another server running on your machine?
Could your vm and your instance have different nameservers?
Could your vm another java installation?
Could you check and send us your Tomcat logs?

Best regards,
Silvio Fernández

Hi,
I’ve setup a complete new server again.

Source server = Google Cloud VM, Debian
New Server = Self hosted VM, Centos

I followed the instructions here https://docs.bitnami.com/google/apps/exo-platform-community/
After completing the steps, I start the server with “/opt/bitnami/ctlscript.sh start”

I get the following errors :-

[exo@mybook1 bitnami]$ sudo ./ctlscript.sh start
su: user postgres does not exist
/opt/bitnami/postgresql/scripts/ctl.sh : postgresql could not be started
su: user tomcat does not exist
/opt/bitnami/apache-tomcat/scripts/ctl.sh : tomcat could not be started
Syntax OK
/opt/bitnami/apache2/scripts/ctl.sh : httpd started at port 80

would manually creating the users “postgres” & “tomcat” solve the problem?

Hello,

You can try to create those users manually and check it. If that fails I would recommend the following:

1. First of all install the same version of the eXo Platform installer on your new server. Use the same installdir that is used on Google VM (/opt/bitnami by default)

2. Stop the servers in your new server
    sudo INSTALLDIR/ctlscript.sh stop

3. Rename your installdir in your new server
    sudo mv INSTALLDIR INSTALLDIR-backup

4. Uncompress your backup:
    sudo tar -pxzvf application-backup.tar.gz -C /

I hope it helps,
Tomas