Methods Available for Patching the Solr Server When/If Needed

Keywords: Apache Solr - Linux - Technical issue - Other
Description:
We only recently set up our Bitnami Apache Solr server instance. We are wondering how patching, such as any security updates, etc., of the server is handled. Does Bitnami automatically perform those types of updates or is there a procedure that we will need to learn in order to keep our server updated? If we need to perform the updates, please include instructions on how to know when updates are available as well as how to perform them. Thanks!

Hi @vstockton

Thanks for using Bitnami Apache Solr! ​

We only recently set up our Bitnami Apache Solr server instance.

What kind of stack are you using in your server instance (virtual machine, cloud instance, docker image or a chart)? With that context I can give you further notes on how to check for updates and what the process is.

Best regards,
Jose Antonio Carmona

Was my answer helpful? Click on :heart:

We are using an “Apache Solr Certified by Bitnami” virtual machine image that we are using with Azure and found in the Azure Marketplace. Thanks.

Hi again @vstockton

We are using an “Apache Solr Certified by Bitnami” virtual machine image that we are using with Azure and found in the Azure Marketplace. Thanks.

Okay, so you are using an Azure cloud image, thanks!

We are wondering how patching, such as any security updates, etc., of the server is handled.

Bitnami does regularly update its cloud images with updated components so as to provide the latest versions and fixes. Not only do we update the main application’s version, but other infrastructure components (such as PHP, MySQL, or Apache depending on the application) are also updated. Hence, updating to the latest version is always a good practice to have the more recent changes.

Does Bitnami automatically perform those types of updates or is there a procedure that we will need to learn in order to keep our server updated?..how to know when updates are available

Bitnami releases new versions of its cloud images regularly and an easy way to check what the latest version of the stack is (as well as how many days ago the solution was updated) to check its associated Bitnami page. For example, for Apache SolR cloud images you may check:

https://bitnami.com/stack/solr/cloud

You can also check that in your Cloud Provider’s marketplace:

The recommended upgrade process for your cloud instance is to perform a backup of your data following the associated guide and create a new instance running the latest version. After that, import the backup in the new instance and verify that it is working properly. Once you have asserted that everything works (and you have a copy of your backup), you are safe to delete the old instance!

Best regards,
Jose Antonio Carmona

1 Like

This is great information. Thank you!

This is great information. Thank you!

My pleasure!

We are marking the previous answer as “Solution” and this topic as “Closed”.

If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to let us know. Feel free to create a new topic referencing this one if necessary.

Best regards,
Jose Antonio Carmona

1 Like