Issues with Bitnami Phabricator and needing libiconv.so.2 when uploading via git

Type: Suggestion
Description:
Hi Everyone,

I recently installed the Bitnami Phabricator VM, and I’ve run into a major issue that made it relatively impossible to use phabricator.

After SEVERAL hours of fiddling, searching, and doing whatever I could to fix the following error that I kept getting when trying to push to a Git repository on the Phabricator instance:

remote: STDERR
remote: git: error while loading shared libraries: libiconv.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I realized that the shared library libiconv was not installed on the system. The fix involves downloading the library from GNU, compiling, and installing it. The library can be found here https://www.gnu.org/software/libiconv/. Here are the steps needed to fix the issue:

While logged in as the bitnami user, I used sudo su before performing any of the following commands:

1. First, get libiconv from GNU using wget (be sure to check if there is a newer version available):
    # wget https://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/libiconv/libiconv-1.11.tar.gz

2. Extract the file using tar:
    # tar -xzvf libiconv-1.11.tar.gz

3. CD into the directory
    # cd libiconv-1.11

4. Configure the location for the library to be installed into (this may take some time)
    # ./configure --prefix=/usr/local

5. Build the library (this may take some time)
    # make

6. Install the library (this may also take some time)
    # make install

7. Add /usr/local/lib to /etc/ld.so.conf
    # echo "/usr/local/lib" >> /etc/ld.co.conf

8. Run ldconfig
    # sudo ldconfig

And thats it! Reboot the VM just to be sure, and everything should work. Ideally, if the bitnami debian image had libiconv installed by default this wouldn’t be an issue. The image I used didn’t have that shared library unfortunately.

Hope this helps!

Hi @miguel.medeiros

I just verified the library is actually missing:

$ ldd /opt/bitnami/git/bin/.origin/git | grep 'not found'
        libiconv.so.2 => not found

Thanks for reporting it! I just transmitted the feedback to the team and they will work on a fix.

Was my answer helpful? Click on :heart:

Hi @miguel.medeiros,

Actually we lauched a Bitnami Phabricator VM and we were able to push properly. We can find “libiconv.so.2” in /opt/bitnami:

$ ls -la /opt/bitnami/common/lib/libiconv.so.2
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 17 Dec 15 10:43 /opt/bitnami/common/lib/libiconv.so.2 -> libiconv.so.2.6.0

In the case of “/opt/bitnami/git/bin/.origin/git”, it shows “not found” due to being a wrapper called from “/opt/bitnami/git/bin/git”, which is supposed to be the “git” executable in your PATH.

If you are still finding this issue, could you run the Bitnami Support tool for us to gather more information on your issue? You can download and execute it on the machine where the stack is running by following the steps described in the guide below.

How to Run the Bitnami Support Tool

Please note that you need to paste the code outputted by the tool in your reply.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.