Invoking jenkins installer from terminal produces no output

Keywords: Jenkins - Linux - Technical issue - Other
Description:
I am running Clear Linux on an Intel NUC. I have no window manager or desktop installed. I am doing everything in the terminal for performance reasons. I have downloaded the linux x64 installer file and performed chmod 755 on it. When I invoke it however (sudo or not) I get no output aside from the _ character just sitting there. Are there some prerequisite packages I need to install before the install will work? I am also unable to run the support tool.

Hi @dcopp.yoomtah,

Thanks for your interest on using Bitnami. Can you please give us more information about your system? Which Linux distro and version are you using? Can you share with us the link to your Intel NUC specifications? Can you also please run the commands below and paste here the output?

sudo cat /etc/*release
sudo uname -a

Also, can you let us know which command were you using to run the Bitnami Jenkins stack installer? Can you try to run the commands below to start it in text mode?

sudo chmod +x bitnami-jenkins-2.176.1-0-linux-x64-installer.run
sudo ./bitnami-jenkins-2.176.1-0-linux-x64-installer.run --mode text

If it doesn’t work, can you please run it in debug mode and send us the trace.txt file? You can upload that file a DropBox or Google Drive account and share with me the download link using the direct message I have already sent to you.

sudo ./bitnami-jenkins-2.176.1-0-linux-x64-installer.run --mode text --debugtrace "trace.txt"

Regards,
Gonzalo

Release

NAME=“Clear Linux OS”
VERSION=1
ID=clear-linux-os
ID_LIKE=clear-linux-os
VERSION_ID=30340
PRETTY_NAME=“Clear Linux OS”
ANSI_COLOR=1;35
HOME_URL=“https://clearlinux.org
SUPPORT_URL=“https://clearlinux.org
BUG_REPORT_URL="mailto:dev@lists.clearlinux.org"
PRIVACY_POLICY_URL=“http://www.intel.com/privacy

uname -a

Linux clr-ed253213c69349cfade4c4d12137bfa3 5.1.17-796.native #1 SMP Thu Jul 11 05:52:56 PDT 2019 x86_64 GNU/Linux

It’s possible this is just a result of this machine being incredibly slow. I left the command running in the background and piping to an output file. When I came back, the process had stopped but the output file contained a prompt about continuing with the installation despite not having the fontconfig package. I’ll try leaving the unix yes command piped into the installer running overnight. Thank you for the response.

The command I was using was
./bitnami-jenkins-2.176.1-0-linux-x64-installer.run
After performing chmod 755 on that file.

The machine is an Intel® NUC Kit DE3815TYKHE for reference (so not a beast by any means).

It appears the installer runs fine just incredibly slowly on this machine. Piping yes into it resulted in trying to select root/y as the installation directory. I’ll just have to leave it running and check periodically what’s happening with it. Thank you for the assistance, please feel free to close this topic.

Hi @dcopp.yoomtah,

When I came back, the process had stopped but the output file contained a prompt about continuing with the installation despite not having the fontconfig package

Can you try if installing the fontconfig package on your Clear Linux system fixes your issue? According to the official documentation, you may run the command below

sudo swupd bundle-add devpkg-fontconfig

I think the yes command trick won’t work because the installer may have some requirements for the application password length. Try to manually run the installer again after installing fontconfig. Also, did you have a chance to try the `–debugtrace “trace.txt” argument?

Regards,
Gonzalo

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.