I found the issue.
Prior to making any changes as before I had to change folder permissions then put them back to how they where.
When I created the key and certificate file I opened a new TextEdit document on Mac, pasted the key and certificate in separate files saved them with proper names and uploaded them.
NOPE CAN'T DO THAT
I had to download the existing key and certificate that where renamed for backup, modify them, rename them and transfer them back to the server.
This is so lame it isn't even funny the server didn't accept the format of file of TextEdit!!!
I have the impression of going back to the golden age of DOS (Disk Operating System)
I caught on when I opened the existing key file from the server and noticed that there wasn't any ability to change the font, font size, bold...
Amazing but true!