Thank you for the suggestion @vikram-bitnami I followed the article "Using AWS ELB and SSL" and was able to fix almost all the site issues.
For those who may be having the same issues I had gone astray on several key areas namely Step 2 bullet point 3 where I had selected "Classic Load Balancer" instead of "Application Load Balancer" also I had missed most of the code listed in Step 4.
I am still having issues updating my plugins though. I went through the "Troubleshooting" article.
I tried accessing the website via the EC2 IP (not going through the ELB) and I was still unable to install plugin updates... So, I know it is not the ELB that is causing the plugin update issues.
date is correct on my server.