How to use domain name in Phabricator

:warning: IMPORTANT, please fill the questions

We assume you are using Bitnami to deploy your application.

• Which version of the application are you using?:
    Phabricator 2017.40-0 (64-bit)

• Please choose how you got the application: Installer (Windows, Linux, macOS), cloud image (AWS, GCE, Azure, ...) or VM (VMDK, VBOX):
    VM

• Have you installed any plugin or modified any configuration file?:
    No

• Describe here your question/suggestion/issue (expected and actual results):
    How to configure, step by step, my VM to access Phabricator using for example "phabricator" instead of the IP address. Never did it before and I'm a bit confused about hostname/domain name etc., so if you could describe it step by step, that would be great. Thank you very much.

• Steps to reproduce the issue (if relevant):

• Copy the apache log (if relevant):

PASTE HERE

Hi,

First of all you would need to have a domain name that points to your machine ip. The easiest choice would be creating a DNS entry in your system:

This guide could help you: https://docs.acquia.com/article/using-etchosts-file-custom-domains-during-development

After that, could you try accessing Phabricator just like that? If not, please follow this guide to connect to the machine:

https://docs.bitnami.com/virtual-machine/faq/#how-to-connect-to-the-server-through-ssh

Then follow this guide:

https://docs.bitnami.com/virtual-machine/faq/#how-to-configure-the-applications-ip-address-or-hostname

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Javier J. Salmerón

Was my answer helpful? Click on :heart:

Thanks, I will take a look. I will write a new comment if I still have some issues.

I configured the hosts file in windows like this:
192.168.1.97 phabricator.debian.org

First I tried just phabricator instead of phabricator.debian.org, but I got an error saying it should be something like phabricator.example.com. So I changed it to phabricator.debian.org

I can ping phabricator.debian.org and the local IP address, both work.

But now the problem is just to open the application in my browser. I have this error when I try to access phabricator.debian.org on my web browser (chrome):

"Site Not Found
This request asked for "/" on host "phabricator.debian.org", but no site is configured which can serve this request."

Found some stuff on the internet about this issue, but I can't figure out how to sort this out.

Hope you can help me with that.

Regards,
Yoann

Hi,

You also need to execute the following in your Virtual Machine:

cd /opt/bitnami/apps/phabricator/htdocs/bin
sudo ./config set phabricator.base-uri phabricator.debian.org

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Javier J. Salmerón

Thank you very much, it works. Will try to understand what's going on behind this.

Hi,

Thanks for letting us know. :slight_smile: We will close this ticket. If you have more issues, do not hesitate to create a new thread.

Best regards,

Javier J. Salmerón