Keywords: ERPNext - Other - How to - Upgrade
Description:
Hi I ran
sudo /opt/bitnami/use_erpnext
cd /opt/bitnami/apps/erpnext/htdocs/frappe-bench
bench update --patch

I am currently running V13.1.1 it did not update to V13.2.0

Hello @dd5963962,

Thanks for using Bitnami! Could you try following the upgrade process detailed in our Upgrade ERPNext guide?

Regards,
Francisco de Paz

Hi Francisco,

Yes I was using this
However when i tried the second line
‘. …/venv/bin/activate’
I was unable to access the folder i tried cd /venv/bin/activate that didnt work the looking at files using ls I saw that the file name is env not venv. I was able to get into the bin file where the activate file is however was not able to cd into it and thats where I am stuck

Hope this explains the problem in more detail

Regards
Dan

Hello @dd5963962,

We have a Support Tool that will gather relevant information for us to analyze your configuration and logs. Could you please execute it on the machine where the stack is running by following the steps described in the guide below?

Please note that you need to paste the code ID that is shown at the end.

fdfb2265-c944-9c78-21b1-11acfe4bfdf2

Hello @dd5963962,

Your installation contains the venv/ folder, you can check that by running the following command:

sudo ls -la /opt/bitnami/apps/erpnext/htdocs/venv:
drwxr-xr-x 2 bitnami daemon 4096 May  6 18:13 bin

However when i tried the second line
‘. …/venv/bin/activate’

Keep in mind the command is . ../venv/bin/activate with two dots before /venv.

I’m also seeing that our Support Tool named your ERPNext version as 13.2.1-0, were you able to upgrade it at some point?

Regards,
Francisco de Paz

Please note that the upgrade document states cd /opt/bitnami/apps/erpnext/htdocs/frappe-bench

With the solution you provided frappe- bench is not included just wanted to highlight this so if anyone had the same issue they would be able to solve this

Please confirm the right way of upgrading ERPNEXT is by

bench update --patch
cd /opt/bitnami/apps/erpnext/htdocs/venv
. ../venv/bin/activate
bench update --reset
deactivate

The reason my ERPNext version is 13.2.1-0 because i had installed a new stack after the question was asked due to time

I will wait for an update and will advise if it worked

Hello @dd5963962,

I have created an ERPNext instance version 13.1.1 and updated it to the latest version following the same steps provided in the guide linked above. That is, the only commands you need to run to update your instance are:

. ../venv/bin/activate
sudo bench update --reset
deactivate

Regards,
Francisco de Paz

hi @fdepaz,

I was able to run the update using the lines you provided however it ran into a few issues running the upgrade to 13.3.0 - I tried “pip install -U unidecode” still had the same error

c859c23d-cf44-6a44-f7e9-8f49e47f6bbe

image .

Hello @dd5963962,

Indeed, I encountered the same issue on 12.2.1. Could you run the following commands before retrying the upgrade:

. ../venv/bin/activate
sudo pip install Unidecode~=1.2.0 -U
sudo pip install python-youtube==0.8.1 -U
deactivate

Regards,
Francisco de Paz

Hi @fdepaz,

Still, the same issue it doesn’t seem to recognise the Unidecode update

Hello @dd5963962,

I’m also having issues running the command upgrade in 12.2.1. The same happens initially in version 13.3.0, but it is solved by upgrading pip:

sudo pip install --upgrade pip

Regards,
Francisco de Paz

. …/venv/bin/activate

When completing this it didn’t work

66aadfa6-d732-b577-f99b-ff2d0ba?dcb4

correct code: 66aadfa6-d732-b577-f99b-ff2d0ba7dcb4

Hello @dd5963962,

I’m not able to reproduce the issue. It may be that upgrading Unidecode with sudo upgraded the global python module but not the one used inside the venv, could you check the module version:

pip show Unidecode

Apart from that, would you be able to check whether this issue is also present in the latest released version, 13.3.1?

Regards,
Francisco de Paz

Hi @fdepaz,

I will share the instance with you 157a0a6e-e6b9-cdd7-d85c-75f5b7503676. I am currently using 13.2.1 and want to update it to 13.3.1

I Have tried
"
. …/venv/bin/activate
deactivate
"

I still get the error of erpnext 13.2.1 requires unidecode even though I already have erpnext 13.2.1 installed. I till get the same error

and when i run sudo pip install Unidecode~=1.2.0 -U again it says its been satisfied

I have also upgraded everything and I still have the same issue

Regards
Shyam

Hello @dd5963962,

The only thing I can think about is that using sudo to install the modules didn’t make them available to the venv. Try installing listing the module without sudo executing pip show Unidecode and if the version is !=1.2.0, install the module again without using sudo.

Regards,
Francisco de Paz

Hi @fdepaz,

Tried the suggested method still the same issue

Hi @fdepaz,

I reinstalled a fresh version of 13.2.1 even them without any changes or data I am still unable to update it

Maybe you can try for your end the fresh stack and see if you get a similar issue?

Regards
Dan

Hello @dd5963962,

That’s strange, let me try changing my testing environment and redo this in a fresh instance. I’ll get back to you as soon as I have any news.

Thanks,
Francisco de Paz