How to Disable from Startup & Stop MySQL on Bitnami AMI (ami-6fc0f71b)

Hi, I am using Bitnami ami-6fc0f71b (bitnami-wordpress-3.1.1-0-linux-ubuntu-10.04-ebs) and temporarily want to stop using MySQL server. Can you please tell me how to: 1) Stop MySQL server from running 2) Prevent MySQL server from starting on EC2 reboot. Thanks, Lachlan

Login to the machine and execute the control script and rename the mysql ctl.sh script:

sudo /opt/bitnami/ctlscript.sh stop mysql
sudo mv /opt/bitnami/mysql/scripts/ctl.sh /opt/bitnami/mysql/scripts/ctl.sh.disabled
5 Likes

Answered perfectly. Thank you for such a prompt reply!

the first command needs either bash or sh like so:

sudo bash /opt/bitnami/ctlscript.sh stop mysql

Usually it will not be necesary to use the bash command for running the ctlscript.sh, do you find any error without using it?

a notice appears after making that move: /opt/bitnami/config/monit/conf.d/mysql.conf:4: Warning: Program does not exist: ‘/opt/bitnami/mysql/scripts/ctl.sh’

Hello @support5,

Yes. That warning is monit trying to start mysql again but it is not finding the proper script to do it. You could either ignore the warning or configure monit to not monitor the mysql server. In that case please do the following:

sudo mv /opt/bitnami/config/monit/conf.d/mysql.conf /opt/bitnami/config/monit/conf.d/mysql.conf.disabled 

I hope it helps,
Tomas

Very helpful article! I connected my WP with external MySQL db so I don’t need the local one anymore. But didn’t know how to permanently disable it.

Hi @skelmetdevops,

I’m glad it solved your question! We will close this thread as solved. Do not hesitate to open a new one with any other questions you may have.