How to add my domain to a fresh deployment of Bitnami Moodle

Keywords: Moodle - Google Cloud Platform - Technical issue - Domain Name (DNS)
bnsupport ID: b5cc0b2c-5599-b2ee-f686-4c1191198948
Description:
I have a fresh deployment of Bitnami Moodle on Google Cloud Platform. Once the deployment was done, I added the IP of the generated VM instance in the DNS records of my domain, but I found this documentation (https://docs.bitnami.com/aws/apps/moodle/administration/update-ip-hostname/) that says that I should put in my domain in a config file, and I wonder if it is outdated because I couldn’t execute any of the commands there.

This issue actually didn’t have any negative effect on my Moodle website. The domain directed to the ip normally and everything worked fine until I noticed that when I enter my domain at the URL then authenticate by entering my credentials, then enter www.mydomain in a different tab, a whole different session comes up that requires authentication as well. I don’t know if this issue is related to adding my domain to the config file or not but I thought it is worth to mention.

Hi @ahmed.mahmoud,

It’s happening because of the cookies.
You can open an incognito window and entering your credentials and avoid being logged into the initial browser window.

Regards,
Ibone.

Hi Ibone, I think you got my question the other way around … I want to avoid doing the authentication again not vice versa. So as I mentioned in the post, when I authenticate using my domain in the url, I expect when I enter the same url with (www.) ahead of the domain, that I enter without authentication.

Hi @ahmed.mahmoud,

I’m sorry I misunderstood, did you have the redirect of www to non www?
You can follow this guide to do that https://docs.bitnami.com/general/apps/moodle/administration/redirect-custom-domains/.

Regards,
Ibone.

1 Like

Hi @Ibone,

Thanks very much for the guide, but I am having some difficulty following because I am not that big on technicals. Should I add another <VirtualHost … > block to each of the specified files ? or should I edit the already existing blocks ? (My installation is by system packages).

Best,
Ahmed

@Ibone Many thanks. The guide works. really appreciate the help.

Hi @ahmed.mahmoud,

You have to edit the already existing blocks and add the new lines.

Regards,
Ibone.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.