"Connection timed out" and "Request-URI Too Long" The requested URL's length exceeds the capacity limit for this server

Keywords: WordPress - Google Cloud Platform - How to - Application configuration

Description:
Hi,

Whenever I tried to delete a few files at a time, it returns a “The connection has timed out” error. They are just small sized files with less than 1MB in total.

After refreshing the page a few times, it shows on screen “Sorry, you are not allowed to delete this item.”

If I hit the back button, the wordpress admin panel loads normally and the items are deleted.

I’ve added define('WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '256M') in the wp_config.php but it doesn’t solve the issue.

I have not installed any plugins or make any changes to the core files. The wordpress is the latest version.

I’ve never encountered this before. May I know what caused this and how to fix it?

Thanks

Sorry, forgot to mention the second error “Request URI too long”. It happens when I tried to delete a lot more files.

Thanks

Hi @4WU,

Apart from changing the WordPress’ configuration, you also need to modify the PHP’s one.

https://docs.bitnami.com/aws/apps/wordpress/configuration/configure-phpfpm-options/

Does that solve the issue?

Hi @jota, Other than memory_limit, are there any other settings to configure? My current memory limit is set to 2G. It is on a vanilla wordpress install using twenty-nineteen theme. I’m still getting a connection timed out error even when bulk deleting just about 100 products. The products are merely demo product names that I imported. No images attached.

In addition to that, the permissions have to be 777 to upload and install.

I wonder if it is because of the glitch in the vm deployment because I have not encountered these issues in previous deployment? Or there are some changes in the configurations of the recent deployment?

Hi @4WU,

The application seems to be reaching a limit and that’s why you can’t remove all those products. Can you take a look at the WordPress’ documentation to get more information about how to use the debug mode in the application so you get more details? The WordPress support team should also provide useful information regarding how to troubleshoot this.

https://wordpress.org/support/