Connect to Wordpress Multisite configuration internally only with DNS-Entries possible. Can connect from the outside

Keywords: WordPress Multisite - Virtual Machines - How to - Domain Name (DNS)
Description:
I have a 2 site multisite wordpress setup on debian linux (VMWare). I can connect to the main site and to the second one from outside of the internal network. Internally I get ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT and cannot connect, unless I create HOST-entries in the internal DNS (A Record for domain.com and www.domain.com -> 192.168.2.18). Firewall is configured. It worked with the singlesite-setup. Thank you for your help!

Hi @AndresSwitzerland,

When you say “internally”, do you mean from the same machine where WordPress is running? You can try to modify the DNS servers configuration of the instance by setting the Google DNS servers as primary servers to use. Simply add

nameserver 8.8.8.8

at the beginning of the /etc/resolv.conf file and try to access your domain again.

Dear Jota

Thank you very much for your help. I think I found the issue:
I am using country blocking on the firewall. When accessing internally using the public IP address the firewall (FGT100E) was not able to recognize the source country.

Therefore all I did was add LAN as allowed source in addition to the allowed countries and now it seems to be working.

Thank you very, very much for your great help.

Kind regards

Andres

Hi @AndresSwitzerland,

I’m glad to heard that :slight_smile:

Enjoy!

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.