Cannot get to admin dashboards for WP Multisite on Lightsail, even with AWS Support!

Keywords: WordPress Multisite - AWS - How to - Application configuration

Description:
Have spent many days, multiple restarts with fresh instances on AWS Lightsail, DNS updates, config file fixes - following instructions from AWS Support and Bitnami (https://docs.bitnami.com/aws/apps/wordpress-multisite/configuration/configure-wordpress-multisite/#troubleshooting-127), but I cannot get the WP Admin dashboards for secondary domains (not subdomains) to show up!

[PS I’m a business guy, not technical developer, which does not help!)

Does Bitnami offer a WP MSite package/image I can install in a few clicks on Lightsail and get going?

Hello @aussierider,

I suppose you are already using our WP Multisite stack from lightsail and unfortunately we do not provide an easier solution than that stack.

We have a Support Tool that will gather relevant information for us to analyze your configuration and logs. Could you please execute it on the machine where the stack is running by following the steps described in the guide below?

Please note that you need to paste the code ID that is shown at the end.

Regards,
Francisco de Paz

Thanks, Francisco!

I have run this on the two servers I have been working with.

This is the code for server -NEW: [Started afresh with new instance]
a6a1857f-d1b4-fb04-0fad-8996388edc3e

This the the code for server -OLD: [Wrangled this with AWS Support, has lost it’s multi-site config]
ffb3e692-4922-9250-7bf3-916b9015f2c4

Errors shown included DDOS attack warnings and indicated a lack of RAM.

Really appreciate your help!

Hello @aussierider,

I’m not seeing any red flags in your configuration. Did you follow the steps on how to add different domains as explained in the previously linked guide?

I have not been able to reproduce your issue following said guide, are you able to access the public site of the secondary sites? What error does it throw when accessing wp-admin?

Regards,
Francisco de Paz

I can access the public site. [The A record points to the static IP, NS records to the DNS zone on Lightsail].

When I am logged in to the primary site dashboard, then select the dashboard for the secondary site, I get another WP login screen - which I cannot log into.

This is the wp-config file code referring to multi-site:

define( ‘WP_DEBUG’, false );

define( ‘FS_METHOD’, ‘direct’ );
define( ‘WP_AUTO_UPDATE_CORE’, ‘minor’ );

define( ‘WP_ALLOW_MULTISITE’, true );
define( ‘MULTISITE’, true );
define( ‘SUBDOMAIN_INSTALL’, true );
$base = ‘/’;
define( ‘DOMAIN_CURRENT_SITE’, ‘woomeralabs.com’ );
define( ‘PATH_CURRENT_SITE’, ‘/’ );
define( ‘SITE_ID_CURRENT_SITE’, 1 );
define( ‘BLOG_ID_CURRENT_SITE’, 1 );

/* That’s all, stop editing! Happy publishing. */

So I added the fix relating to cookies, but no change.

define( ‘WP_DEBUG’, false );

define( ‘FS_METHOD’, ‘direct’ );
define( ‘WP_AUTO_UPDATE_CORE’, ‘minor’ );

define( ‘WP_ALLOW_MULTISITE’, true );
define( ‘MULTISITE’, true );
define( ‘SUBDOMAIN_INSTALL’, true );
$base = ‘/’;
define( ‘DOMAIN_CURRENT_SITE’, ‘woomeralabs.com’ );
define( ‘PATH_CURRENT_SITE’, ‘/’ );
define( ‘SITE_ID_CURRENT_SITE’, 1 );
define( ‘BLOG_ID_CURRENT_SITE’, 1 );

start: fixes for cookies issues with multiple domains

define(‘COOKIE_DOMAIN’, $_SERVER[‘HTTP_HOST’] );
define( ‘ADMIN_COOKIE_PATH’, ‘/’ );
define( ‘COOKIEPATH’, ‘/’ );
define( ‘SITECOOKIEPATH’, ‘/’ );

end: fixes for cookies issues with multiple domain

/* That’s all, stop editing! Happy publishing. */

Not fixed, even after a reboot.

Changed Chrome cookie settings from ‘Block third-party cookies in Incognito’ to ‘Allow all cookies’. Logged out of admin, Then logged back in - could only log into SECONDARY site - successfully!

But now I can’t get to the primary site dashboard! So is this a cookie issue?

Cleared ALL wordpress cookies. No change.

Hello @aussierider,

Let me try to reproduce this issue. Does the error appear in a fresh instance with the default plugins and theme enabled?

Regards,
Francisco de Paz

Hi Francisco,

Appreciate the support - but I’ve given up and moved off AWS. Too much hassle for a non-techie like me! Best!

Hello @aussierider,

I’m sorry to hear that :frowning: If you come back to use any of our products and need any assistance, please do not doubt to reach out.

Regards,
Francisco de Paz

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.