BNCertTool thinks my domain doesn't resolve to its IP address

Keywords: General - AWS - Technical issue - Domain Name (DNS)

bnsupport ID: 20af8794-6feb-d6ea-4e00-41c1f676f8ea

bndiagnostic output:

? Apache: Found possible issues
? Resources: Found possible issues
https://docs.bitnami.com/general/apps/wordpress/troubleshooting/debug-errors-apache/

bndiagnostic failure reason: The suggested guides are not related with my issue

Description:
When I run the BNCertTool, this is what I get:

Welcome to the Bitnami HTTPS Configuration tool.

Domains

Please provide a valid space-separated list of domains for which you wish to
configure your web server.

Domain list []: b o t f a i r . c o . u k w w w . b o t f a i r . c o . u k

Warning: The domain 'b o t f a i r . c o . u k ’ resolves to a different IP address than the
one detected for this machine, which is ‘18.134.168.242’. Please fix its DNS
entries or remove it. For more info see:
[https://docs.bitnami.com/ general/faq/configuration/configure-custom-domain/]

But the error message is wrong, because the domain resolves to exactly this IP address.

Please advise further.

For some reason I could not add the correct links in the original post
It is botfair.co.uk and www.botfair.co.uk

Hi @georgedanker,

Thanks for using Bitnami. According to the whatsmydns.net DNS checker, your IP address points to a different IP address, can you check it?

Indeed. That’s because I got fed up and stopped using bitnami. In the end I moved the domain back to IONOS and paid them £25 for their SSL certificate because I’d wasted the whole day on it!

At the time I raised the issue, I can assure you that the whatsmydns.net DNS checker confirmed that my domain did point to the IP address that was referred to.

Hi @georgedanker,

Thanks for your message. I’m sorry you had errors running our tools. The bncert tool internally uses the getent host command from the server to validate the DNS resolution. For some reasons, in your case the internal database wasn’t updated and it was returning a non-valid value.

However, it is possible to skip those validations running the tool as shown below.

sudo /opt/bitnami/bncert-tool --perform_public_ip_validation 0 --perform_dns_validation 0

If you ever want to give it a try again, please do not hesitate to open a new thread with any questions you may have.