Bitnami Multisite setup questions

Keywords: WordPress Multisite - AWS - How to - Other

Description:
Hi there,

I’d like to know the recommended requirements to run an optimal instance in AWS so there won’t be any performance issues later on.

• what are the number of domains that one multisite instance can host? And this to consider also recommended requirements?
  • how does DNS work in a multisite scenario given instance will have a static public IP but then instance to do some type of NAT/PAT in order to identify each domain? How about registering domain on registrar? To which IP would DNS registrar point?

https://bitnami.com/stack/wordpress-multisite

Thanks.

Hi @cguanaja

Thanks for considering Bitnami WordPress Multisite!

I’d like to know the recommended requirements to run an optimal instance in AWS so there won’t be any performance issues later on.

• what are the number of domains that one multisite instance can host? And this to consider also recommended requirements?

Our Bitnami WordPress Multisite instances require a minimum of 700MB to work properly. Nevertheless, these are the bare minimum requirements and a more advanced usage will require a more capable machine. Hence, the recommended requirements will completely vary depending on what you are planning to achieve. For example, hosting two sites that serve plain HTML requests is not the same as a dozen sites that make extensive use of PHP and plugins.

This question is more related to WordPress as an asset itself, so I recommend you reach out to the WordPress developers for further details on that. Regarding the number of maximum domains an instance can host, you should also reach out to them for further clarification.

• how does DNS work in a multisite scenario given instance will have a static public IP but then instance to do some type of NAT/PAT in order to identify each domain? How about registering domain on registrar? To which IP would DNS registrar point?

All the different DNS entries should point to the public IP of the machine in order for the instance to be reachable. Then, the application is able to know which site the traffic belongs to based on the domain name (e.g. abc.com vs def.com)

Best regards,
Jose Antonio Carmona

Was my answer helpful? Click on :heart:

Thanks @jcarmona.

• does the Bitnami WP multisite (BWPM) have a GUI so sites can be managed from there?

• is there a backup tool in the BWPM so sites can be backed up from a management portal?

• does the BWPM have a management portal from which you oversee sites and manage them (like issuing SSL certs, enabling SSH/SFTP access, etc.)?

• what would be the recommended requirements for an AWS instance running BWPM that will host 3 websites which use PHP and plugins in an average manner (meaning not many number of hits per hour)?

Appreciate the input here.

Hi again @cguanaja

• does the Bitnami WP multisite (BWPM) have a GUI so sites can be managed from there?

Bitnami does not apply any changes to the default GUI WordPress already ships with. So yes, there is a GUI with a Dashboard to manage your site (the default one):

• is there a backup tool in the BWPM so sites can be backed up from a management portal?

You can back up your site using some pre-installed WordPress plugins. We have the process covered in our documentation site:

https://docs.bitnami.com/aws/apps/wordpress-multisite/administration/backup-restore-jetpack/

• does the BWPM have a management portal from which you oversee sites and manage them (like issuing SSL certs, enabling SSH/SFTP access, etc.)?

Again, the management portal that comes with the stack is the default WordPress already offers. I reckon this management portal does not offer this functionality, but you may contact WordPress directly for further information.

In any case, we have specific documentation for the topics you mentioned:

https://docs.bitnami.com/aws/apps/wordpress-multisite/get-started/first-steps/
https://docs.bitnami.com/aws/apps/wordpress-multisite/administration/upload-files/

I recommend you go to our documentation site for Bitnami WordPress Multisite stack and take a look at the different topics there :slight_smile:

https://docs.bitnami.com/aws/apps/wordpress-multisite/

• what would be the recommended requirements for an AWS instance running BWPM that will host 3 websites which use PHP and plugins in an average manner (meaning not many number of hits per hour)?

This will, again, require a more detailed analysis of the use case. For instance, will those PHP scripts make extensive usage of resources? Will you have many concurrent users accessing any of the three websites?

My recommendation here is that if you want to skip such an analysis you can go with a normal instance on AWS at first. Should you need any more extra requirements, you can always upgrade/downgrade the instance type in the future.

Best regards,
Jose Antonio Carmona

Thanks @jcarmona - great input!

Final questions:

• what normal lightsail instance on AWS can be a good start?
  • can the AWS lightsail instance be upgraded/downgraded anytime with minimal or no interruption of the sites hosted?

Thanks.

• what normal lightsail instance on AWS can be a good start?

As I guess you will be using this for testing your idea out, setting up everything and ensuring configuration works as expected, I’d say you can give the 1GB RAM/1 Core instance a try :slight_smile:

• can the AWS lightsail instance be upgraded/downgraded anytime with minimal or no interruption of the sites hosted?

This question is more related to Lightsail itself and not to the Bitnami stack. To get a clearer idea of how their service work, please reach out directly to them as they can provide you with the whole picture.

Should they require to perform a backup/restoration process, you already have the Bitnami guides on how to do that :confetti_ball:

Best regards,
Jose Antonio Carmona

Thanks for the input @jcarmona - will start with that instance.

On the other question - let me ask the following: BWPM instance hosts x number of sites

• in the event that a site is compromised and needs to be restored from a backup, what is the structure used in Bitnami for each site? Getting a BWPM instance attacked and compromised would mean all sites hosted will be affected
  • anything that BWPM is different from Bitnami running single WP instances that tightens security for it? Or is pretty much same environment and therefore security taken to how each site is enhanced with security? Given that one IP address is shared by all sites
  • is there something that BWPM does so security is tighten up when comparing Bitnami running single WP instances?

Thanks.

• in the event that a site is compromised and needs to be restored from a backup, what is the structure used in Bitnami for each site? Getting a BWPM instance attacked and compromised would mean all sites hosted will be affected

The way different sites are stored in the filesystem is the standard one WordPress Multisite uses. If you want to know more about how WordPress internally manages different sites, please reach out to the developers as they will have more details on it.

Regarding the backup process, you can see in the guide that it exports the DB, which includes all the different sites you had.

• anything that BWPM is different from Bitnami running single WP instances that tightens security for it? Or is pretty much same environment and therefore security taken to how each site is enhanced with security?
  • is there something that BWPM does so security is tighten up when comparing Bitnami running single WP instances?

No, the same security measures are applied to both WP and WP-Multisite.

Best regards,
Jose Antonio Carmona

1 Like

Thanks @jcarmona - I’d like to know the structure used by Bitnami stacks in the actual server considering a multisite environment.

• some newer instances have: /opt/bitnami/joomla and /opt/bitnami/wordpress
  • other instances have: * /opt/bitnami/apps/joomla/htdocs, or /opt/bitnami/apps/wordpress/htdocs
  • others even: /opt/bitnami/apache/htdocs

How does this look like in instances running under a multisite environment? So I know where DB, backup, plugins, etc are located for each site?

Many thanks.

Here the different options that I’ve seen in single instances once again:

Hi @cguanaja

You already have a thread where we are covering that topic, let’s use it instead :slight_smile:

So I know where DB

The DB is not in those directories, but rather in /opt/bitnami/mysql or /opt/bitnami/mariadb depending on your version and application

Best regards,
Jose Antonio Carmona

Thanks @jcarmona - here is the last question considering this multisite environment.

• a WP multisite instance hosting two sites
  • sitea.com and siteb.com
  • a restore from backup of each site is needed
  • what is the path so I can copy kickstart.php for Akeeba’s execution for each of the two sites?
  • what is the path for Joomla components or Wordpress plugin’s content so I can get backup files for Akeeba’s backup for each of the two sites? e.g. I know that for single instances backup files are located at /opt/bitnami/apps/wordpress/htdocs/wp-content/plugins/akeebabackupwp/app/backups - but how does this vary for each site in a multisite environment?

I see that different Linux versions have different paths so if you can include all the options will be a good help so I can have this as reference.

Many thanks.

• what is the path so I can copy kickstart.php for Akeeba’s execution for each of the two sites?

/opt/bitnami/apps/wordpress/htdocs OR /opt/bitnami/wordpress depending on your version of the Bitnami WordPress stack (only one of the two paths will be available).

• what is the path for Joomla components or Wordpress plugin’s content so I can get backup files for Akeeba’s backup for each of the two sites? e.g. I know that for single instances backup files are located at /opt/bitnami/apps/wordpress/htdocs/wp-content/plugins/akeebabackupwp/app/backups - but how does this vary for each site in a multisite environment?

For WordPress:
/opt/bitnami/apps/wordpress/htdocs/wp-content/plugins/ or /opt/bitnami/wordpress/wp-content/plugins/

For Joomla!:
/opt/bitnami/apps/joomla/htdocs/plugins/ or /opt/bitnami/joomla/plugins

Again, depending on your version of the Bitnami WordPress stack

Best regards,
Jose Antonio Carmona

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.