Bitnami Joomla! Stack - MariaDB vs MySQL

Keywords: Joomla - Installers - How to - Services (Apache, MariaDB, MySQL…)

Description:
Hi,
I’ve been using your joomla stack for years. Now I want set up a new updated server on Windows for my Joomla website.
I see that you replaced MySQL with MariaDB in your installers.
I should like to keep using MySQL database because some Joomla extensions installed on my website has not be tested with MariaDB, is it possible?
Thanks
Luca

Hi @luca.do

Yes, we are now using MariaDB instead of MySQL for our Joomla installer.

I should like to keep using MySQL database because some Joomla extensions installed on my website has not be tested with MariaDB, is it possible?

Unfortunately, we are no longer providing an updated installer that uses MySQL. Nevertheless, I see two alternatives here if you want to stick to MySQL:

1. I can provide you with the last version of the Joomla stack that shipped with MySQL.
  2. You can install MySQL separately and configure Joomla yourself to use the external database instead

Would any of that be a possible option for you?

Best regards,
Jose Antonio Carmona

Was my answer helpful? Click on :heart:

Hi Jose,
thanks for your reply. I inform my client and I will be back to you next week to answer your question.

Let me ask you about your choice, why you abandoned MySQL that is the official database supported by the Joomla project?

Nothing against MariaDB, but considering that there are extensions developer that don’t test on MariaDB, to me the best will be to have the possibility to choose from Joomla installer with MariaDB or Joomla installer with MySQL.

Best regards
Luca

Hi again @luca.do

Let me ask you about your choice, why you abandoned MySQL that is the official database supported by the Joomla project?

We are standardizing all of our solutions to use MariaDB, which until version 5.5 functioned as a “drop-in replacement”. More recent versions are not that bold to claim the compatibility (there are even some known incompatibilities), yet for most cases, it seems to work without major problems.

Nothing against MariaDB, but considering that there are extensions developer that don’t test on MariaDB,

They are also most likely to work without problems for MariaDB as well. In any case, should you want to give the MariaDB-based installer a try, please feel free update the thread in case you find any issues related to MariaDB-and your plugins :slight_smile:

Best regards,
Jose Antonio Carmona

Hi @jcarmona,
thanks for your reply. My client want to give a try to MariaDB installer, I will update the thread to inform you about extensions compatibility.
Best regards
Luca

Thanks for the update!

You can download the latest version of it from the following page:

https://bitnami.com/stack/joomla/installer

Best regards,
Jose Antonio Carmona

Hi @jcarmona,
do you have any tips to migrate a Joomla site from MySQL to MariaDB installers?
Best regards
Luca

Hello @luca.do,

You will need to create backups for the application and database and then restore them in your new installer as explained here:

Regards,
Francisco de Paz

Hello @fdepaz,
thanks for your reply and for the docs links.
Regards
Luca

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.