AWS Lightsail LAMP upgrade

Keywords: LAMP/MAMP/WAMP - AWS - How to - Upgrade
Description:
I’m in the process of spinning up a new AWS Lightsail instance and migrating my stack to take advantage of an upgrade from PHP 7.1 to 7.4. I had anticipated it would be quite an easy job, but realise over the last 18 months I’ve made countless small config adjustments, so it’s taken quite some time to redo everything. I also have a niggle that AWS package the Bitnami LAMP on a different base O/S.

So my question / suggestion is. How can I determine what O/S config changes I have made that I need to replicate. And could I have selected Ubuntu again, or is Debian in some ways better and immaterial to what I’m doing anyway.

PHP7.1 - 4.4.0-1113-aws #126-Ubuntu SMP Fri Aug 14 13:24:17 UTC 2020 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

PHP 7.4 - 4.19.0-10-cloud-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.19.132-1 (2020-07-24) x86_64 GNU/Linux

Feedback much appreciated before I switch the IP to the new server.

Hi @mar7t1n,

I recommend using Git to track all the changes you make to the configuration files, you can init an empty repo in the /opt/bitnami folder and add and commit the configuration files you are most likely to change. Also, this would make it easier to revert to an earlier state if your configuration is wrong. Also, I would consider creating a bash script to reinstall the plugins and themes.

#!/bin/bash

wp plugins install PLUGIN1
    wp plugins install PLUGIN2

You can then run that script with every migration.

Regards,
Michiel

It’s not WP - but yes excellent plan for git. I wonder if creating a central user config with symlink for anything which is changed may also help simplify my understanding of what I change throughout the OS to avoid clutter of changing logs. Automation is the key. When first setup I just made changes I needed. 18 months on I’ve forgotten what I did change so now need to review it all in more detail.

1 Like

Hi @mar7t1n,

Obviously, sorry for that.

Regards,
Michiel

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.