Apache config issue after reboot with libiconv.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Keywords: WordPress Multisite - AWS - Technical issue - Services (Apache, MariaDB, MySQL…)

bnsupport ID: 7826e2da-f136-0a72-7412-003602c9508d

bndiagnostic output:

? Apache: Found possible issues
? Resources: Found possible issues
https://docs.bitnami.com/general/apps/wordpress/troubleshooting/debug-errors-apache/
https://docs.bitnami.com/bch/apps/moodle/troubleshooting/deny-connections-bots-apache/
https://docs.bitnami.com/installer/faq/linux-faq/administration/increase-memory-linux/

bndiagnostic failure reason: The documentation did not make any significant change

Description:
Occasionally the wordpress website I have been running for months has performance issues (I suspect bots / scripts). Yesterday this happened again and the website was very slow to respond so I rebooted the machine through the AWS console. After rebooting the machine, the performance continued to be very slow and I ran the diagnostic tool. It showed Apache could not load modules/mod_mpm_event.so as a result of not being able to open libiconv.so.2.

I followed the steps in this thread and turned off php-fpm - Kossa.ca 503 error and your bitnami support tool does not give me the id

After turning off php-fpm I am still having the same issue.

After running sudo find /opt/bitnami -type f -iname "*libiconv*" I get the following result:

/opt/bitnami/php/include/php/ext/iconv/php_iconv_aliased_libiconv.h
/opt/bitnami/licenses/libiconv.txt
/opt/bitnami/common/lib/libiconv.so.2.6.0```

However running this command `locate libiconv.so.2` I get these results: 
```locate libiconv.so.2
/opt/bitnami/common/lib/libiconv.so.2
/opt/bitnami/common/lib/libiconv.so.2.6.0```

Running this command `ln -s /opt/bitnami/common/lib/libiconv.so.2.6.0 /opt/bitnami/common/lib/libiconv.so.2` gives me this result: 
```ln: failed to create symbolic link '/opt/bitnami/common/lib/libiconv.so.2': File exists```

I am now at a loss as to how to get libiconv.so.2 loading and working again with Apache... please help!

Retyping this part because of formatting issues…

Running sudo find /opt/bitnami -type f -iname "*libiconv*" I get the following result:

/opt/bitnami/licenses/libiconv.txt
/opt/bitnami/common/lib/libiconv.so.2.6.0

However running this command locate libiconv.so.2 I get these results:

/opt/bitnami/common/lib/libiconv.so.2
/opt/bitnami/common/lib/libiconv.so.2.6.0

Running this command ln -s /opt/bitnami/common/lib/libiconv.so.2.6.0 /opt/bitnami/common/lib/libiconv.so.2 gives me this result:

ln: failed to create symbolic link '/opt/bitnami/common/lib/libiconv.so.2': File exists

I am now at a loss as to how to get libiconv.so.2 loading and working again with Apache… please help!

Hi @stacey,

We are going to work on reproducing the issue. We will update this thread once we have more information.

Sorry for the inconvenience

Thank you! I am currently working on porting everything over to another server as an alternative but would prefer a solution instead. Cheers.

Hi @stacey,

I tried to reproduce the issue but couldn’t do so. However, I’d like to check this with you:

• The libiconv.so.2 file is already a symlink, can you check if the original file matches with this info?
bitnami@ip-172-31-44-108:~$ md5sum /opt/bitnami/common/lib/libiconv.so.2.6.0
4c061d728feaf1a088dcef23bcf6d8d0  /opt/bitnami/common/lib/libiconv.so.2.6.0
bitnami@ip-172-31-44-108:~$ file /opt/bitnami/common/lib/libiconv.so.2.6.0
/opt/bitnami/common/lib/libiconv.so.2.6.0: ELF 64-bit LSB shared object, x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked, BuildID[sha1]=91c0278940055a899413379998b90751a76131d1, stripped
  • I can see that Apache was running when running the Bitnami Diagnostic Tool so when were you getting the error with the library? I just accessed your site (prod.xxxx.net) and it’s working properly. Is this still the old server or did you already migrate the info?

Hi @jota,

Here are the results from the server, it looks the same. I am already running the new server right now under nginx, however a solution would be beneficial for me and others moving forward. This is definitely a weird one.

bitnami@ip-172-31-14-229:~$ md5sum /opt/bitnami/common/lib/libiconv.so.2.6.0
4c061d728feaf1a088dcef23bcf6d8d0  /opt/bitnami/common/lib/libiconv.so.2.6.0
bitnami@ip-172-31-14-229:~$ file /opt/bitnami/common/lib/libiconv.so.2.6.0
/opt/bitnami/common/lib/libiconv.so.2.6.0: ELF 64-bit LSB shared object, x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked, BuildID[sha1]=91c0278940055a899413379998b90751a76131d1, stripped

Hi @stacey,

that’s strange. From the errors you posted, I thought the library might be corrupted but the output of the commands I posted show that the files is the original one. Did you run into a performance issue or make an important change in the instance that triggered this error? We are not able to reproduce the issue and that’s why I’m asking you just in case you have more details.

Thanks

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.